We’re pleased to share that VMware SD-WAN has once again topped a major analyst firm’s evaluation. Quadrant Knowledge Solutions named VMware a technology leader in its SPARK Matrix™ analysis of the global SD-WAN market. You can download the full report here.
VMware SD-WAN ranked highest for both customer impact and technology excellence. Quadrant Knowledge Solutions evaluated vendors’ technology excellence by their technologies’ sophistication, companies’ competitive differentiation, diversity of verticals and use cases, scalability, integration and operability, and vision and roadmap. The criteria for customer impact include performance, market presence, a proven record, ease of deployment and use, excellent customer service, and a unique value proposition.
The SD-WAN market is growing fast
With millions of people who now need highly stable and secure connections to work from home, Quadrant Knowledge Solutions revised its SD-WAN market forecast to an expected CAGR of 38.1% from 2021 to 2026. They estimate the 2020 value of the global SD-WAN market at $3.67 billion, expected to rise to $25.4 billion by 2026.
The report calls out COVID-19 and working from home or anywhere as major drivers of the trend toward SD-WAN and secure access service edge (SASE). As the workforce is distributed to the edge of the network, the report calls SASE “ideal for data security, threat awareness, and data protection – especially for the new remote users.”
“Due to ease of deployment and default business policy, DMPO, Gateways and Orchestration, [VMware SD-WAN] is ideal in Work from Anywhere scenarios.”SPARK Matrix: Software-Defined WAN (SD-WAN), 2021
SD-WAN trends and market drivers
The report covers many technology trends and drivers for the SD-WAN market, including:
- SD-WAN is a key technology to successfully adopt hybrid and multi-cloud strategy to improve bandwidth availability and performance at affordable costs
- The convergence of network function virtualization (NFV), software-defined networking, and SD-WAN is helping transform enterprise networking
- Continued investment in industrial IoT and Industry 4.0 strategies demand better network intelligence (for example, VMware Edge Network Intelligence™)
- SD-WAN vendors are expanding security capabilities and increasingly embracing zero trust (with solutions such as VMware Secure Access™)
- SD-WAN vendors increasingly focus on providing SASE solutions
- Improved unified communications as-a-service (UCaaS) is seeing greater market demand
- SD-WAN is well-positioned to integrate 5G communications into services when the time comes
- Service providers continue to make significant contributions to market penetration of SD-WAN solutions
- Get additional SD-WAN market perspective in the 2020 Gartner Magic Quadrant for WAN Edge Infrastructure report
- For a crash course in SD-WAN, download VMware’s Software-Defined WAN for Dummies eBook
- Dive into important security concepts with SASE & ZTNA for Dummies