Detmold Group, established in 1948, is a manufacturer of paper and board-based sustainable packaging for a range of global customers, including McDonald’s. The company has 3,000 employees at manufacturing and sales facilities in 12 countries.
In 2015, Detmold Group had a 32 site MPLS network which was experiencing increased bandwidth demand, especially for voice and video. Detmold Group was starting to use more cloud-based offerings and wanted a high quality and consistent user experience for all their locations—one that would support increased mobility and collaboration. They wanted an agile, scalable network that would provide better visibility and a reduction in operating expenses.
The Solution: SD-WAN
They began exploring SD-WAN as a means to overcome their challenges and future-proof their network. They found that Coevolve, a global company focused on advising enterprises on and assisting with their adoption of SD-WAN, would be the right partner in this endeavor. Coevolve selected VMware SD-WAN™ by VeloCloud® as the solution that could fulfill Detmold Group’s needs. They did a POC with a large, geographically dispersed international rollout.
A Partnership with Real Results
Coevolve and Detmold Group liked VMware SD-WAN because it provided a high quality of experience (QoE), steered traffic on a per-packet basis, and provided an API and single pane of glass for better visibility. Some key results they experienced included:
- 600 percent increase in bandwidth with network resiliency at most locations-from total bandwidth of 166 Mbps to 1 Gbps.
- Detmold removed Cisco and Riverbed customer premises equipment, along with associated support and maintenance costs.
- Detmold saw a 20 percent reduction in total cost of ownership over 24 months, even after factoring in the cost of making the change.
- VoIP and video traffic switched to traveling over the internet, even in locations with poor local infrastructure such as China, Vietnam, and India.
- Latency was substantially reduced.
“Without the advent of the SD-WAN and a larger bandwidth at each of our sites, we certainly wouldn’t be able to put in Salesforce 365, our board reporting, HR systems, payroll systems out into the cloud.” – David Stork, Major Products Global IS, Detmold Group
And the Detmold Group continues to be pleased to work with Coevolve and VMware. Check out this video of David Stork explaining how his company has found success and real results working with Coevolve and the VMware SD-WAN solution.