I’d like to introduce you to a new VMware Cloud Foundation video series that we recently published on the VMware TV YouTube channel.
As with any new product, it takes time to learn and understand the technical details of the solution. I know many of you have a lot of questions about the components, the architecture, and how the new VMware SDDC Manager goes about simplifying the way we deploy, manage, and operate the Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC). And of course, there’s never a shortage of product documentation to read. As such, videos and demos that show Cloud Foundation in action are always appreciated. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.
It is in this spirit that we have created a series of short videos aimed at helping you better understand the technical facets of Cloud Foundation and to provide examples of the SDDC Manager in action. Regardless of where you sit in the IT organization, I believe these videos will help you better understand the components, the architecture, and the role the SDDC Manager plays in this new unified SDDC Platform solution that we call VMware Cloud Foundation.
I hope you find them useful!
Conceptual Overview Videos
- VMware Cloud Foundation Technical Introduction
- See how VMware Cloud Foundation brings together the core SDDC building blocks of compute virtualization (with VMware vSphere), storage virtualization (with VMware vSAN) and network virtualization (with VMware NSX), together with the automation capabilities of the VMware SDDC Manager, into a new unified SDDC platform that provides a vastly simplified SDDC experience.
- VMware Cloud Foundation Storage Overview
- VMware Cloud Foundation leverages vSAN ready-nodes to implement a simple, efficient and highly scalable storage architecture for the SDDC. Leveraging the automation capabilities of the SDDC Manager it’s easy to create workload domains and provision new vSAN data stores. vSAN radically simplifies storage making it easy to deploy a modern software-defined data center.
- VMware Cloud Foundation Network Overview
- The VMware SDDC Manager allocates cloud capacity into workload domains. Each workload domain is backed by a vSphere cluster and is managed by its own vCenter Server instance. In each workload domain, a virtual distributed switch is created with multiple VLAN-backed port groups to logically segregate and isolate the different traffic types. VMware NSX is then deployed to provide virtual networking and advanced security services.
Feature Overviews with Product Demos
- VMware Cloud Foundation – Preparing to Image your First Rack
- In this video, we demonstrate how to deploy the VMware Imaging Appliance (VIA) in preparation for imaging a new Cloud Foundation rack.
- VMware Cloud Foundation – Imaging Your First Rack
- In this video, we demonstrate how to use the VIA appliance to perform the initial configuration of the physical switches and servers in the rack, stage the SDDC software bundle, and deploy the VMware SDDC Manager in preparation for implementing VMware Cloud Foundation.
- VMware Cloud Foundation – Deploying Your First Rack using Bring-Up
- In this video, we demonstrate how to connect to the SDDC Manager and configure the Cloud Foundation unified SDDC platform to instantiate the foundation for your private cloud.
- VMware Cloud Foundation – Creating a Virtual Infrastructure Workload Domain
- In this video, we demonstrate the creation of a Virtual Infrastructure Workload Domain using the VMware SDDC Manager.
- VMware Cloud Foundation – Creating a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Workload Domain
- In this video, we demonstrate the creation of a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, or VDI Workload Domain using the VMware SDDC Manager.
- VMware Cloud Foundation – Expanding a Workload Domain
- In this video, we show how to expand an existing workload domain by adding additional capacity using the VMware SDDC Manager.
- VMware Cloud Foundation – Deleting a Workload Domain
- In this video, we show how to delete a workload domain using VMware SDDC Manager.
- VMware Cloud Foundation – Automated Patching and Upgrades with VMware Cloud Foundation Lifecycle Management
- In this video, we provide an overview on how to use the Cloud Foundation Lifecycle Management feature to upgrade the unified SDDC platform.