I am pleased to announce that vSphere PowerCLI 5.8 R1 is now Generally Available to the public. With this comes new features and extensibility into Storage policy based management, Easily deploy OVF/OVA files with new configuration options, Support for newer versions of vCloud Director (vCD), vCloud Air, Site Recovery Manager (SRM), and more!
Below is an overview of the updates that you can find within this latest release.
Storage Policy cmdlets – a new snapin is available called VMware.VimAutomation.Storage.which provides access to a number of new cmdlets that allow you to work with Storage Based Policy Management.
This snapin contains the following cmdlets:
Improved support for OVF/OVA deployment and configuration
Deploying VMware and third party products which are packaged in an OVF/OVA format is now much easier by providing the Import-vApp cmdlet with new configuration options that can be easily explored and set with the new Get-OVFConfiguration cmdlet.
- Get-OVFConfiguration allows you to query an OVF/OVA for deployment properties
- Import-vApp cmdlet now has an OvfConfiguration parameter which allows for OVFProperties to be passed during deployment
- Added a ‘filter by tag’ to the remaining Get- cmdlets:
- Added filtering support to the Datastore provider
- Added filtering support by both DistributedSwitch and VMHost to the Get-VMHostNetworkAdapter
- Enhanced startup speed with NGEN-ing the deserializer assemblies optimization (read more about the issue here: http://blogs.vmware.com/PowerCLI/2011/06/how-to-speed-up-the-execution-of-the-first-powercli-cmdlet.html)
- Enhanced error reporting by including more details in error messages returned by cmdlets.
- Supports vCloud Air and vCloud Director with the latest vCD APIs (vCD 5.6.3)
- vCloud Director cmdlets have been extended to include the New-CIVM and Get-CIVMTemplate cmdlets to allow deploying new VMs in VCD or vCloud Air.
- The New-CIVapp cmdlet has been extended with a new parameter set, allowing you to create an empty vApp.
Site Recovery Manager
- You can now work with vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5.8 public APIs, as support has been added for the SRM cmdlets to be compatible with this version.
- Ability to pass SpbmStoragePolicy objects to the RelatedObject parameter of Get-HardDisk and Get-VM cmdlets
- Other bug fixes and general performance enhancements have been made to various PowerCLI cmdlets
Stay tuned for frequent blog posts that go in-depth on each of these new updates.
The above list is a high level list of the updates made to vSphere PowerCLI, for a more comprehensive list including all parameter and functional improvements, security enhancements, and deprecated features, see the vSphere PowerCLI Release Notes and the vSphere PowerCLI Change Log.
For more information on specific product features, see the VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.8 Release 1 User’s Guide.
For more information on specific cmdlets, see the VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.8 Release 1 Cmdlet Reference.
Download and Install PowerCLI 5.8 Release 1 today from here.
Download and Install PowerCLI for vCD and vCloud Air Tenants 5.8 Release 1 today from here.
18 comments have been added so far
Don’t know where to write it…
There is a bug in PowerCli in Get-VMStartPolicy cmdlet
It simply does not work on some systems (include mine)
When vmAutoStart.xml contains
SystemDefault(note first small letter) it cause exception
also, Web client set string values in small case and c# client in title case, and if AutoStart set to ‘none’ by web, standalone client read this as ‘powerOn’
Thank you for your comment. I will look into this and forward it on to the appropriate team.
I am looking for end of support dates for VMware Power Client v5.5.x, VMware Tools v9.0.x and VMware vSphere Client v5.1…I did not see these items listed on the VMware Lifecycle Product Matrix. Can you provide an EOS date for these products or tell me which products on the VMware Lifecycle Product Matrix that these items are a part of? Thank you.
Webroot.com/safe – Download, install and activate your Webroot product. Visit http://www.webroot.com/safe and enter the activation code to protect your devices
Webroot.com/safe – Get effective web-security on your system with Webroot SecureAnywhere. Easily download, install, and activate the software on http://www.webroot.com/safe. The quick scanning system and the anti-breakable wall are some of the features that favor it to reach to a new extent. If your device is suffering from any sort of virus-related issues, then do visit to webroot.com/safe to obtain an instant resolution to your queries. The primary motive of Webroot is to provide as much convenience to its customers as they can.
When it comes to the security of the devices, one of the topmost recommendations by users is Norton. Trusted by over millions of users, Norton is one of the most prominent and supreme names in the world of security suites. Due to its effectiveness and reliability, it is so much popular. Norton gives you powerful protection against ransomware, malware, and unauthorized access. It provides your system with real-time threat protection so that your system can deal with all kinds of security issues. Norton is highly praised for its high-end protection. You can download the Norton Setup from the link norton.com/setup and follow the below-mentioned instructions.
I am looking for end of support dates for VMware Power Client v5.5.x, VMware Tools v9.0.x and VMware vSphere Client v5.1
Office.com/setup – Do you often need a word processor or presentation creator software on your computer? If you have answered yes to this question, you will need to download Microsoft Office to your device. Office.com/setup allows users to download and install Office setup. Microsoft Office 2019 is one of the latest computer suites to enhance user productivity. It provides users with top-notch quality professional tools. The Microsoft Office Suite has several handy apps, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher, etc. Users may also buy Office suites from retail stores such as Amazon and Best Buy.
Office.com/setup – Do you often need a word processor or presentation creator software on your computer? If you have answered yes to this question, you will need to download Microsoft Office to your device. Office.com/setup allows users to download and install Office setup. Microsoft Office 2019 is one of the latest computer suites to enhance user productivity. It provides users with top-notch quality professional tools.
The quick scanning system and the anti-breakable wall are some of the features that favor it to reach to a new extent.
Great article, all the points mentioned above are important to practice. Yet, none are easy to master!