The VMware Fusion team is proud to announce VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta 1.

This public beta, a free download, boasts a handful of industry firsts for Mac virtualization, including true multi-display support for virtual machines and experimental DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 2 3D acceleration.

The team is also extremely happy to announce that VMware Fusion 2.0, when released, will be a free downloadable upgrade for all VMware Fusion 1.x customers, as a sincere thank you to our early supporters.

Now, on to the features!

Key Features of VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta 1

VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta 1 sports dozens of innovations and improvements.  For a more exhaustive list, visit the VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta landing page.

Highlight Reel: In addition to more in-depth demo videos on the VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta landing page, above is a teaser to get you started.  Enjoy!

True Multi-Display Support

multidisplayVMware Fusion 2.0 Beta 1 brings the first true multi-display support to Mac virtual machines, letting your virtual machines see additional displays attached to your Mac as additional, individual displays.

Drag Unity windows between displays and expand your virtual machine full screen across one or all your available displays.

Finally run Windows-only applications that require more than one logical display, while application windows correctly maximize only to their current display.

Easier Switching to VMware Fusion

switchingtools Scores of users are switching to VMware Fusion for fast, stable, and powerful Windows on Mac.

Unparalleled Performance: To make the switch even easier, VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta 1 integrates the ability to convert Parallels Desktop and Virtual PC for Mac virtual machines.  Importing legacy virtual machines to run on VMware Fusion is as easy as click and drag.

bootcampswitch Graduate from Boot Camp: VMware Fusion has always allowed users to unlock the true potential of their Boot Camp partition, running their Windows apps side-by-side with Mac apps.

But for users ready to go "fully virtual" and tap the full benefits of virtualization, VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta 1 includes the ability to convert your Boot Camp partition to a "full" virtual machine.

No more waiting for Boot Camp to boot with virtual machine suspend/resume.  Snapshots to help you keep your virtual machine out of harm’s way. And the ability to move your virtual machine from Mac to Mac.

Experimental 3D Acceleration Races Ahead

3DBeta1 From the people who first brought 3D to virtual machines, and later, to Mac virtualization, comes another 3D first: experimental support for DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 2.

VMware Fusion 1.0 launched with DirectX 8.1 support, followed by VMware Fusion 1.1 raising the bar to DirectX 9.0 without pixel shaders.

VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta 1 now ups the ante again with support for DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 2, letting users play select PC-only 3D games in Windows XP virtual machines.

DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 2 support in Beta 1 is considered experimental, and performance will vary based on hardware and applications in question.  Some games that work in VMware Fusion 1.x may fail in this beta.

More Displays. More 3D. More of Everything.

And that’s just the beginning.  In addition to multiple display and 3D support, there are many great improvements and enhancements that have to be seen to be believed.

The full list of features and enhancements rounding out the rest of VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta 1 can be found on the VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta landing page

We encourage you to swing by, sign up for the beta newsletter to stay in the loop, and best of all, download the beta.

Let’s Get Cracking: Beta Participation

Participation in the VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta 1 is open to everyone – current VMware Fusion users and prospective users alike!

The Beta is a free download, with registration, and can be accessed at the VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta Portal.

Community participation, filing of bugs, feature requests, and support are all handled via the Beta Portal, so check it out!

Please Note: Beta software can be prone to instability and bugs, and is only suitable for users interested in testing out the latest and greatest in a testing environment. Do not run beta software in mission critical situations.

64 thoughts on “More Displays. More 3D. More to Love: VMware Fusion 2.0 Public Beta 1 Now Available

1. Atheos

But no 3D for Vista… When, oh when please, when? You’ll get the “ooooh” from me as soon as you release a version that runs Aero on Macbook/GMA950 :)

2. Mark

Very nice!
    Question: Can you boot and install from a floppy image file, to force a PXE/RIS installation?

3. Michael

Looking good, the improved unity is fantastic… But does it support compiz on Linux yet? That’s the real killer feature for me at the moment!

4. Flo

I can not install the new VMWare Tools in Windows XP Home on my Macbook 13″
    Nevertheless: VMWare Fusion is GREAT! I love and use it heavily!

5. Jeff Self

Can’t wait to try out Fusion 2.0. Question: Is there any work being done on bringing the Unity technology to Linux? I barely use my Windows VM but I’m running my Ubuntu 8.04 VM daily and would love to have the ability to run an app from here in a window in OS X like I can a Windows app.

6. Michele

It does not play nice with Spaces. When you switch to its space it does not come up. You have to click on the dock first. :-(

7. Tom Smith

Excellent! I’ve been waiting for this since I got a mac as a pc replacement. Thank you.
    Is the main (screen 1) windows screen required to be on a certain monitor?

8. John

Awesome multiple screen support!
    I still can’t believe there is no support for multiple snapshots.

9. Riot Nrrrd™

“VMware Fusion 2.0 Beta 1 includes the ability to convert your Boot Camp partition to a “full” virtual machine.”
    Why would I want to do this?
    If I want to make a backup copy of my car’s CD navigation system discs, I have to run Alcohol 120% and talk directly to the CD/DVD drive. If I converted my Boot Camp partition I could no longer do this.
    I think VMware would do well to push the cool features of its virtual machines (like the aforementioned snapshots and lack of waiting for Boot Camp installations to boot inside the VM) but not at the expense of those of us who occasionally need direct access to the raw hardware (I wouldn’t have set up a Boot Camp partition if I didn’t need it).

10. Jack

I’m looking forward to giving this a whirl. The real features I’m waiting on, though, are multiple snapshots (with a snapshot manager) and clones (linked, especially).

11. Charly

Looks good, but I see a lot of Windows stuff there (which I don’t use at all).
    Will VMWare Fusion 2 finally support OpenGL in Linux? I’d just love to run Compiz-Fusion inside my Ubuntu VM :-)

12. rb-mdi

Does it support firewire pass through so firewire cameras can directly connect to the VM? If not can we please get support for some kind of 1394 passthruogh in a future rev,? Please!?

13. paul

I’m using Fusion 1.1.2 and a few IMPORTANT things don’t work for me (I’m using Ubuntu 8.04 as my VM):
    * shared folders not working; I have enabled it in the VM properties, but in Ubuntu I don’t see anything under /mnt/hgfs.
    * while I can drag/drop from my guest Ubuntu VM to Leopard, I can’t go the other way.
    Very frustrating :(

14. Harald

A free upgrade from a version 1.x to 2.0 is an awesome “gift” to existing customers that may have struggled with some initial issues. I especially like the “Unity” improvements for an even tighter and simpler integration and probably won’t even use many of the announced more advanced features. But his news definitely boosts my confidence that VMware Fusion was the right decision after testing several solutions.

15. Ros

I hope at list the double of performance with the macpro 8800gt.
    Really slow direct9 shader performance

16. Eric

Here is a second to the request for a firewire pass through. I can see my windows apps and they seem to be fine but without the ability to pass firewire audio it is hamstrung.

17. Warren DeLano

Still no accelerated OpenGL support in the latest beta? Unbelievable! Doesn’t VMware get it?
    PEOPLE ARE BUYING PARALLELS OVER VMWARE SOLELY BECAUSE OF THIS ONE CRITICAL MISSING FEATURE!
    Hardware-accelerated OpenGL under Parallels is fantastic. Software-based OpenGL rendering under VMware is pathetic.

18. Elier Cruz

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the release 2.0. I’m really consider right now buy a MAC!
    I love MAC!, Mac loves Fusion!

19. J Ong

I personally use Fusion but I put my customers on Parallels Desktop because of Paralell’s Windows/Mac application sharing. They can double-click on a Microsoft Word document or attachment in Outlook (on the Windows side) to launch Word on the Mac side to read it. That way, they don’t have to maintain Word on both Windows and Mac.

20. RT

I had some difficult with this Beta and Ubuntu 8.04. VMware tools was not working and the VM asked to install VMware Tools. Since VMWare Tools was already installed in the VM the vmware-tools install script would loop endlessly.
    I had to de-install the beta, go back to 1.1.2 re-install and restore the VM from backup.

21. Olivier

Hi
    I would like to know if you can change easily the MAC adress in VMware fusion 2 when you use the Boot Camp partition from mac OSX (in Parallel Desktop you can do it)?
    Thanks.
    Best regards,
    Olivier

22. Alex

I have had no luck in starting my Vista 64 Boot Camp partition in Fusion; there are no problems with the XP 32 boot camp partition. Are there any special instructions?
    Thanks

23. Colin

I’ve tried wmware fusion 1.1.2 and 2 beta. And have to say if games run on low settings horrible I will not switch from bootcamp. Surely, I would be more comfortable without booting.
    I own a mac pro 2x 2.8ghx xeon, 8gt ram. Giving a virtual machine two cores and 3gt ram should be enough to make things work normally, sub-bar normally. I am not pleased. But surely I would buy another graphics card for the virtual machine, if such support would be available. I am talking about one card working for mac os x, and one for solely the virtual system.
    Critic and comments are appreciated conserning my post.

24. William

Running VMWare 2.0 Beta 1 on 10.4 and works fine with XP home SP2. However, I can’t run 64 bit ubuntu with the tools. After installing the tools and attempting to reboot, it just sits there and never starts up.

25. Jason Hung

What about a Server version of VMware for the Xserve? We would love to have an ESX server version of VMware, because we have apps that run in Linux only but we’d like to use OS X server for other areas too!

26. Geoffrey Hutchison

I’d echo some of the comments above.
    Where is the OpenGL support? This is important both for Linux and Windows. DirectX isn’t the only 3D library.

27. maxxel

to summon it up (not necessary in order of importance):
    - firewire
    - unity in linux
    - multiple snapshots
    - hardware accelerated opengl
    - application sharing (see Elier Cruz’s comment)
    I enjoy my mac, but still have to work daily job in windows/linux environment. I would benefit of each feature mentioned above.
    anyhow. thanks for the upgrade. it’s worth of major release, as it has two really new features. multi-monitor support and seamless printing experience. I really have to try them as they are useful to me as any of those features mentioned above. thank you.

28. Gerald Larson

Firewire Audio support is really important to musicians trying to bridge the PC/Mac software gap. Fruity Loops is just one example. I have lots of apps that are not cross platform and I was hoping VMware would recognize a need. I think there are a lot of “laptop musicians” out there. We tend to buy software instead of food. Hint hint $$$

29. Jochen

hello and thanx to vmware !!! everything i’ve missed so far. i cant wait till it’s done ! great !
    (a 1.x user from Austria)

30. mike fuller

I love my Fusion, but I am almost ready to try something else. Whenever I fire up Fusion my mouse jumps all over the stinking place. I thought this beta might have a fix in, but it does the same thing. I have to click somewhere off on the side and then it calms down. I have the tools installed. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts!

31. Elijah Lynn

I was really disappointed to see Compiz Fusion did not work in my Ubuntu VM under VMware fusion. Also the VMware tools install for Ubuntu is painfully complicated. I had to install some opensource stuff just to get vmware tools to work. My coworker helped me but what a nightmare!
    Vmware fusion is definitely cool but it also needs the unity mode!

32. mike fuller

I finally figured out my problem with Fusion. I had been using a piece of software called USB Overdrive. I removed it and the problem disappeared. I ended up using Steermouse which does the same thing basically as USB Overdrive, but it does not cause any issues!

33. cah

I really like fusion, just installed 2.0 but i would really like to see linked clones in an upcoming release.
    Thanks for the great product.

34. Jens Habermann

Good day,
    we are still looking for virtualizing solutions for our main office. I am talking about 700 workstations.
    Unfortunatly there is no product enabling OpenGL acceleration, especially not, if the host is a windows machine.
    This is the 3rd century, can we start getting OpenGL acceleration working for Linux guests under Windows hosts, pretty please?
    Tnx for your time.
    Jens Habermann
    Administrator Lufthansa AG

35. Airbnboy

Ubuntu! Special compiz effects provided by OpenGL make Ubuntu’s desktop a screaming beauty! Please implement support for that! Along with what you have just done, your product would then be super-duper-awesome!

36. Pingback: Order of the Bath » VMware Fusion 2 (Beta)