Blog authored by Velina Krasteva, Senior Product Manager, Site Recovery Manager (
#SRM) and vSphere Replication at VMware.
You spoke, and we heard you! Many of our customers told us they would like to have better capabilities for alerting, monitoring and reporting of VMware Site Recovery Manager and vSphere Replication.
Welcome to the improved vRealize Operations Management Pack for SRM 8.2 and brand new management pack for vSphere Replication 8.2. Both of these work with vRealize Operations Manager 7.5 and more.
This video will walk you through the new capabilities.
If you use vRealize Operations today, you can install the Management Packs for SRM and vSphere Replication 8.2 for free. They are bundled in vRealize Suite Advanced and Enterprise editions.
vROps Management Pack for SRM 8.2
The vROps Management Pack for SRM is a powerful tool to monitor the connectivity between Site Recovery Manager instances, the availability of a remote SRM instance and the status of Protection Groups, and Recovery Plans.
Imagine your Manager or Director comes and asks you to show them that your environment is Disaster Recovery ready. With the new and improved vROps Management pack it is now possible to get global visibility across the entire SRM environment.
You will get quick notification of issues as alarms are generated when there are SRM Server connectivity issues or Protection Groups and Recovery Plans are in error state and more.
What Specifically is New?
- New views in the SRM Configuration Summary dashboard, displaying the Recovery VM status and count of virtual machines, part of a Recovery Plan.
- Get an alarm when a virtual machine is part of a Protection Group but is not included in any Recovery Plans.
vROps Management Pack for vSphere Replication 8.2
While the management pack for SRM is improved the Management pack for vSphere Replication is brand new and has a bunch of cool features, including tracking RPO violations!
- The main dashboard reveals all the metrics you need to track the status of your incoming and outgoing replications – health, number of replications, transferred bytes (time period selectable).
- RPO violations – If I had to select one new feature in vROPs Management Pack for vSphere Replication 8.2 as my personal favourite, this would be it. Alerts get generated when there is RPO violation for a VM and we can track that easily in vROPs now.
- We didn’t stop with alerting. We created a new RPO violations dashboard, where you get visibility of all VMs, tracking per VM RPO violation and Transferred bytes.
- The Replication usage dashboard gives the details we need – again per VM, such as transferred bytes, last instance sync points, last sync duration, and last sync size.
More, more and more. Go ahead and explore the VR adapter in Environment settings. We split these into two sections – Replications and Virtual Machines metrics.
- Replication metrics – Get visibility on VM replication settings such as direction, RPO, multiple points in time (MPIT), quiescing, encryption, network compression, Target Site Name and Type.
- With the Virtual Machines metrics and visibility, you can now get more specific detail on status, RPO violations, Transferred bytes.
Both of these management packs are available to download and install now from the Marketplace and product download page.
Please reach out to me on Twitter with your feedback. I’d love to hear it and will use it to plan future releases of SRM and these management packs.
2 comments have been added so far
Does the SRM Management Pack work with Version 126.96.36.19998133
Hi, please find the link to compatibility matrices for the Management Pack:
Versions 8.1 and 8.2 work with vROPs 7.0