As the year draws to close, it’s fun to look back to recap the past year to see how far we’ve come. 2018 was a banner year for vSAN as we continued to drive industry leadership, and just in case you may have missed a few things, let’s take a quick look at our 2018 highlights.
In 2018, the vSAN team continued to innovate with 2 releases delivered in the year. The vSAN 6.7 release in April included major enhancements including:
- ReadyCare, highlighting VMware’s commitment to supporting our customers through technology, analytics and people
- A complete UI refresh and embedded analytics powered by vRealize Operations
- Intelligent infrastructure management, efficiency and security enhancements, and more
The innovation didn’t stop – later in the year, with the vSAN 6.7 U1 release in October, customers benefited from:
- Simplified operations through a new step-by-step deployment wizard, update manager enhancements, and predictive safeguards for maintenance operations
- Improved efficiency with space reclamation, enhanced networking support, and better sizing tools
- ReadyCare enhancements for even more health checks, and greater automation for root-cause analysis
But wait…there was more! We launched a private beta for data protection (snapshots), file services, and persistent storage for containers to continue to listen to our customers as we plan for the future.
The vSAN team has also worked hard with our broad ecosystem of partners to make vSAN the best platform for all your applications – here are some highlights:
- InterSystems Caché and IRIS Data Platform support, to enable key database systems used in healthcare and financial services industries
- SAP HANA certification for 4-sockets and up to 6 TB for no-compromise deployments at scale
- DataStax and Cloudera support with host-affinity for efficient big data processing
- Preview of Elastic vSAN, which enables Amazon EBS backed vSAN to add cost-effective capacity independently and on-demand
In fact, hypercoverged infrastructure powered by vSAN has the broadest ecosystem with 18 jointly certified OEM server vendors, more than 500 validated configurations, and over 500 public cloud provider partners – today!
2018 also saw vSAN continue to receive industry accolades as the leading platform – hyperconverged infrastructure, powered by vSAN was:
- Twice named a leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Hyperconverged Infrastructure
- Recognized as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: Hyperconverged Infrastructure, scoring highest in the strategy category
- Verified to be the #1 deployed Hyperconverged Infrastructure by 451 Research
- Named CRN product of the year for software-defined technology, for 3 years running
In 2018, we now have over 17,000 customers that trust vSAN to run their business, including over half of the Global 2000 companies! Thank you to all our customers and partners for inspiring us and making 2018 a banner year for vSAN – we’re excited about what’s in store for next year, and hope you are as well!