We are very fortunate to post an interview with Shay Banon, the founder of elasticsearch. Elasticsearch is technology that is very popular among some of the coolest companies on the web today, including SoundCloud, StumbleUpon, Mozilla and Klout. These companies use elasticsearch to help them deploy powerful search capabilities in their applications that are easy to set up, scalable and built for the cloud. In this interview, we get to learn all kinds of cool things:
- How Shay got into search
- How he came up with the idea for elasticsearch
- Why elastic search is different than other OSS search projects
- Example elasticsearch users like Foursquare, Brewster, GitHub, Sony, and Klout
- About the elasticsearch architecture for big data
- The strategy behind JSON over HTTP for search
- Connecting elasticsearch with RabbitMQ
- Connecting elasticsearch with Spring
- Connecting elasticsearch with GemFire
- Running elasticsearch on virtualized infrastructure
Without further ado, here is the interview.
Q1. So, how did you end up getting into search?
About 10 years ago, I moved from Israel to London because my wife was going to study to be a chef at the Cordon Bleu. I had no job. I was in a new country. I was unemployed. So, I started to get into the latest, cool, new technologies. Continue reading