VMware SD-WAN by VeloCloud seamlessly and more securely extends on-premises infrastructure to Google Cloud Platform (GCP). Customers can simplify, automate and optimize network connections from their premises to the cloud, and deliver a consistent operational experience.
Digital transformation is changing the way enterprises manage their IT resources including how and where mission-critical applications are accessed, whether on-premises or in the cloud. More and more applications are either being migrated to or born in the cloud, increasing the need for a secure, optimized solution. Branch offices accessing these cloud applications may run on a legacy WAN infrastructure where traffic is not optimized for cloud and therefore application performance may suffer. These changes raise the bar for WAN requirements: higher bandwidth without higher cost, better application performance and ease of provisioning.
VMware SD-WAN is the industry-leading SD-WAN solution that enables simple, agile and secure branch office connectivity offering the following advantages:
- The SD-WAN overlay is transport independent, which means multiple low-cost broadband links can be aggregated to meet the higher bandwidth requirements when accessing Google Cloud.
- With per-packet link steering and on-demand remediation technology based on link performance (using Dynamic Multi-Path Optimization), applications running in Google Cloud can be treated based on business priority and optimal performance can be achieved.
- From a network management perspective, the Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP) feature can turn on multiple branches at the same time and the VMware SD-WAN Orchestrator offers outcome-driven configurations, segment aware topology and policies which simplifies the workflow at scale.
VMware SD-WAN connects the on-premises infrastructure and GCP for a hybrid cloud deployment in an automated and more secure way with advanced features. It:
- Leverages a global network of VMware hosted multi-tenant cloud gateways. SD-WAN is extended to Google doorsteps without having to maintain additional network components inside GCP virtual private cloud (VPC). This is unique to the VMware solution.
- Mitigates the challenge of firewall rules having to be updated for new entry points once additional Google Cloud Services are added as the hosted gateways aggregate the entry points for Google Cloud Services.
- Extends segmentation end-to-end from remote branches to Google Cloud and works seamlessly with GCP VPC Service Controls, which enables overlapping IP support and simplifies access control configurations for applications.
At Google NEXT 2019, our team will demonstrate the use case of a retail customer who is migrating applications to Google Cloud while growing the business by adding more stores in multiple locations accessing Google Cloud workloads. VMware and Google show how VMware SD-WAN can help to reduce deployment effort, reducing a month’s worth of work into a simple workflow which only takes a few clicks by applying the “Enable Google Cloud Service” profile to the newly deployed VMware SD-WAN Edges.
Please visit VMware booth at Google NEXT 2019 for details. For further information about VMware SD-WAN, please check out https://www.velocloud.com/sd-wan-resources/
To read Google’s blog on the VMware partnership, click here.