By popular demand, we are excited to announce the worldwide rollout of the VMware vCloud® Air™ Direct Connect™ service introduced last year to all existing VMware vCloud® Air™ locations. By providing a dedicated and secure connection with a streamlined deployment process, VMware is enabling customers around the world to seamlessly integrate vCloud Air into their internal networks and to more fully realize the benefits of the hybrid cloud.
What is Direct Connect?
Direct Connect enables secure, consistent, and high-bandwidth connectivity with max speeds of 1 or 10 Gbps, depending on compute service, through dedicated private lines from your facility or cross-connections from your co-located data center into your vCloud Air instance. These circuits are provided jointly with our Cross Connect Partners or with your Network Service Provider (NSP) for WAN private lines, enabling:
- Seamless voice, video, and Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS) performance
- Quick Database Replication
- Access to physical customer-owned storage
- Efficient Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS)
- Split Internet connectivity and consumption
- Strict security compliance through a private, non-Internet connection
- Easy Cloud Bursting (leveraging vCloud Air capacity as burst capacity)
The Direct Connect service is already available in five vCloud Air locations in the United States and in Europe. More will be coming over the next two months and beyond as we continue opening new vCloud Air locations worldwide.
The map below shows all locations where the service will be offered by December 2014:
We have invested significantly into the Direct Connect architecture to provide a faster, more streamlined deployment process on vCloud Air and to give you options. Have a desired location for a private line? You can work with any NSP that terminates there, not just with “approved partners.” Your preferred provider is not connected? No problem; just ask them to peer with one that is, using a Network-to-Network Interface (NNI) agreement. The only thing you cannot choose is the designated Cross Connect partner for each location.
To setup a private line or co-location cross connect, simply follow these four steps:
- Decide the appropriate port size and the vCloud Air location that you want to plug into.
- Look up the location’s network termination address and order a line from an NSP or the location’s Cross Connect partner into the vCloud Air connection point.
- Login to My VMware and order the Direct Connect service.
- Ask your NSP or Cross Connect partner to complete the connection. You’re good to go.