I’m getting more and more requests to package IE8 so I think it is about time to write a blog post on how to do it.. According to our Internet Explorer support statement (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2069870) packaged IE8 is supported by us and works on most platforms.
The procedure I’m about to explain creates a package that I’ve validated on Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 11 locally installed.
- Windows XP with Internet Explorer 6
- IEShims.dll and JSProxy.dll from Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 8
- Internet Explorer standalone installer (IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe)
1. Start Setup Capture on your Windows XP with IE6. I used Windows XP with Service Pack 2 but 3 should work as well.
2. Run Internet Explorer 8 installer. Make sure to disable Installation of updates. This step is crucial. If activated not only IE updates will be downloaded and therefore breaking the package.
3. Once you have your Project folder copy IEShims.dll from a Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 8 machine into the ProjectFolderPath\%ProgramFilesDir%\Internet Explorer
4. Copy JSProxy.dll from a Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 8 machine into ProjectFolderPath\%SystemSystem%.
5. Rebuild and that should be it.. Here’s a screen shot of the package running on Windows 7 with IE11 locally installed.