For many, VCP training and examinations can be a complex, nerve-racking process that often leads to the question, “Where do I start?” If you find yourself already asking this question, you came to the right blog! I will outline my recent experience, which will guide you through your VCP6 in the most efficient and effective way possible.
First, take a moment to familiarize yourself with the different types of certifications and learning paths by visiting the VMware Certification webpage.
I chose the Data Center Virtualization (VCP6-DCV) track accompanied by an On Demand training course. The DCV certification gave me the tools I needed to perform my role here at VMware as a technical account manager. The On Demand course gave me the scheduling flexibility I needed to complete the training. It includes a series of lectures you can complete at any time, and a pre-built lab environment—all available for 45 days!
Regardless of the VCP option and learning path you choose, you’ll be required to take the online vSphere 6 Foundations Exam prior to your proctored VCP examination. Do not underestimate the Foundations Exam. It is difficult and designed to prepare you to successfully complete your VCP exam. You will need to take the online vSphere 6 Foundations Exam Prep course to fill in any gaps in the training course and better prepare yourself for the exam.
I highly recommend the following as best practices during examinations:
- Spend more time reading questions than answering them
- Focus on finding incorrect answers before looking for the correct one
- Flag questions you are uncertain about, and return to them later
- Use all or most of the allotted time for the exam
Treat your VCP certification as a project, and use the following checklist as a tracker:
- Select a VCP Certification (DCV, CMA, NV, or DTM)
- Complete VMware vSphere: What’s New [V6] Fundamentals
- Build a home lab, or use the Hands On Lab (HOL) included in an On Demand training course
- Complete vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6] or another five-day course (classroom, live, or on-demand)
- TEST #1 | Pass the vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6] Module Exam
- Complete VMware Certification Exam Prep: vSphere 6 Foundations Exam
- Complete vSphere Foundations (2V0-620) Practice Exam
- Purchase and schedule the vSphere 6 Foundations Exam
- TEST #2 | Pass the vSphere 6 Foundations Exam [2V0-620]
- Order and study the Mastering vSphere 6 book
- Complete VCP6-DCV Delta (2V0-621D) Practice Exam
- Purchase and schedule the VCP6 Exam
- TEST #3 | Pass the VMware Certified Professional 6 Exam [2V0-621]
I am approaching the one-year mark in my VMware career and, as required, I have recently passed my VCP6 exam. The process outlined above worked for me and will work for you. Some things that may seem overwhelming now will actually be very simple.
If you are still concerned, try not to worry. Clarity will come naturally when you follow the process. Add a little bit of time to the equation and, before you know it, you’ll have your VCP!
As a TAM, Daniel helps drive the implementation of VMware products and service offerings while cultivating customer use cases and feedback. He collaborates with key stakeholders and technical teams to ensure a successful implementation of the VMware SDDC by creating processes that reinforce best practices.