Partners received a generous dose of inspiration as the Partner Exchange general session kicked off with a bang this weekend. For those of you unable to attend, here is a re-cap of some of the highlights:
Sunday, August 28th
The crowd was delighted to welcome Pat Gelsinger, CEO as he introduced VMware Cross-Cloud Architecture as the main path to the Software-Defined Data Center. He talked about how the journey to the SDDC can now be enabled through VMware Cloud Foundation & Cross-Cloud Services which provides freedom and control and ultimately reduces TCO. Pat explained how this announcement delivers VMware’s vision to provide management of any cloud, delivering any application, on any device.
Partners then heard from Sumit Dhawan SVP & GM, Desktop & Workspace ONE and Raghu Raghuram, EVP Software-Defined Data Center Division on Cross-Cloud Services and the Digital Workspace.
Ross then welcomed Maurizio Carli, EVP Worldwide Sales to the stage for a fireside chat. Ross asked what specifically Maurizio’s organization is doing to illustrate its commitment to partners. Maurizio indicated that VMware Worldwide Sales has:
- Made an increased investment in this community with Advantage+ program enhancements by rewarding partners who drive demand for our more complex solutions through increased up-front margins and auto-validation on deal registrations
- Aligned our incentives to our high-growth opportunities and cloud solutions
Maurizio reiterated that now is a great time to Partner with VMware.
With that inspirational start to Partner Exchange, the excitement continued when Ross Brown – SVP Partners & Alliances took the stage. Ross detailed the success of Advantage + enhancements and reiterated the shift VMware is making from a reseller model to a multi-channel model that embraces many GTM motions and from a vSphere centric to multi-product company.
The Partner Exchange General Session closed with a call to action to drive our joint customers digital transformation together with VMware.
Following the Partner Exchange General Session, partners had full schedules with Solution Keynotes, breakout sessions and more. The Solution Keynotes were the highlight of the afternoon and had partners extremely engaged.
First up was Sumit Dhawan, SVP & GM, Desktop & Workspace ONE on how to Deliver the Digital Workspace. Sumit reminded partners how the traditional model for end-user computing has been disrupted and “The world is going digital”. Digital Workspace is creating a massive opportunity in the market. The EUC portfolio brings together all the pieces for the emerging Digital Workspace market:
- Apps and Identity
- Desktops and Mobile devices
- Management and security
In order to be productive whenever and wherever, users want their applications on the devices they choose to carry. These evolving mobile work styles create a unique challenge for IT. The good news is with Workspace ONE we can help provide the convergence of desktop and mobile. Moreover, Sumit reminded partners “with the help of all of you… we are clearly in an undisputed leadership position… we are not going to stop here. Customers and partners are winning with EUC – 62,000+ EUC customers, $1.2B annual run-rate in total bookings and growing. We are providing an experience that is not based on a device, but on the identity of the user; that is Workspace ONE. It’s a similar experience that all of us are used to in a consumer world – the data is always protected. Nobody else in the market place can deliver this experience, except VMware.”
To seize these opportunities and win big, partners were challenged to:
- Build competency across Desktop and Mobile
- Demonstrate value to customers with Test Drive
- Maximize your margin with Advantage+
Partners then headed to the next Solution Keynote Enabling Cloud for Your Customers delivered by Yanbing Li, SVP & GM, Storage and Availability Business Unit and John Gilmartin, VP & GM Integrated Systems BU.
They spoke in detail about the issue of cloud silos and how customers need the ability to run, manage, and secure applications across their on-premises data centers and public clouds. Partners learned how to help customers on their journey to the Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) through the VMware Cloud Foundation. The VMware Cloud Foundation is a new unified SDDC platform that combines vSphere, VSAN, and NSX as a single, integrated software platform to provide a software-defined data center across clouds. This virtualized infrastructure layer can be further enhanced with the VMware automated cloud management platform, vRealize Suite.
Partners can take advantage of these exciting opportunities by:
- Getting trained (utilize vmLIVEs, Hands on Labs & Solution Enablement Toolkits)
- Demonstrating value through developing leads, building pipeline, validate benefits with the help of Partner Central
- Increasing deal margins – up to 30% discounts for SDDC solutions
Last but not least, Partners heard from Rajiv Ramaswami, SVP & GM Networking & Security and Dom Delfino, VP WW Sales & Systems Engineering on how to Accelerate Network Virtualization. We all know that network virtualization is hotter than ever and VMware NSX is leading the charge. Rajiv and Dom reminded partners that:
- The software-defined networking market will be $12.5B market by 2020
- Customers main challenges are security, automation, application continuity
- VMware NSX offers
- Security – virtualize networks and have a firewall for every VM.
- Automation – a blueprint for each VM to avoid manual build out
- Application Continuity – applications and data can exist between data centers for disaster recovery or pooling of data center resources
The good news is that VMware partners have made huge strides with NSX and are being rewarded because of it. We ran the analytics and found that partners with their NSX competency close NSX deals that are 53% greater than those partners without the competency. Additionally, the value of NSX approval deal registrations increasing 50% Y/Y. Rajiv and Dom recommended that partners who want to be successful selling NSX should:
- Generate Demand
- Implement Scalable Assessments
- Leverage Eco-System
- Remember that VMware is here to help with Demo Centers, Assessment tools, install base data, PSO Enablement and the NSX Demand Center
In all cases, remember to lead from the front, build your plan with your PBM, leverage the eco-system and celebrate your customers’ and your own success loudly!