It is that magical time of the year again, when VMware is honored to host more than 23,000 attendees at VMworld 2015 in San Francisco. The event is an annual destination for organizations looking to learn more about technology, innovation and how they can be more awesome in their job.
We are excited to announce VMware Integrated OpenStack 2 just six months after we released version 1.0 for general availability. Expected to be available before the end of Q3 2015 for download, here’s what’s new in this release:
- Kilo-based: VMware Integrated OpenStack 2.0 will be based on OpenStack Kilo release, making it current with upstream OpenStack code.
- Seamless OpenStack Upgrade: VMware Integrated OpenStack 2.0 will introduce an Industry-first seamless upgrade capability between OpenStack releases. Customers will now be able to upgrade from V1.0 (Icehouse) to V2.0 (Kilo), and even roll back if anything goes wrong, in a more operationally efficient manner.
- Additional Language Support: VMware Integrated OpenStack 2.0 will now available in six more languages: German, French, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese and Korean.
- LBaaS: Load Balancing as a service will be available supported through VMware NSX.
- Ceilometer Support: VMware Integrated OpenStack 2.0 will now support Ceilometer with Mongo DB as the Backend Database
- App-Level Auto Scaling using Heat: Auto Scaling will enable users to set up metrics that scale up or down application components. This will enable development teams to address unpredictable changes in demand for the app services. Ceilometer will provide the alarms and triggers, Heat will orchestrate the creation (or deletion) of scale out components and LBaaS will provide load balancing for the scale out components.
- Backup and Restore: VMware Integrated OpenStack 2.0 will include the ability to backup and restore OpenStack services and configuration data.
- Advanced vSphere Integration: VMware Integrated OpenStack 2.0 will expose vSphere Windows Guest Customization. VMware admins will be able to specify various attributes such as ability to generate new SIDs, assign admin passwords for the VM, manage compute names etc. There will also be added support for more granular placement of VMs by leveraging vSphere features such as affinity and anti-affinity settings.
- Qcow2 Image Support: VMware Integrated OpenStack 2.0 will support the popular qcow2 Virtual Machine image format.
- Available through our vCloud Air Network Partners: Customers will be able to use OpenStack on top of VMware through any of the service providers in out vCloud Air Partner Network.
Feel free to join us on many of the sessions at VMworld in SF, and for details about the VMworld sessions, check here.
We also encourage you to check out all of the great information we’ve put together for VMware Integrated OpenStack.
We look forward to seeing you there.
The OpenStack @ VMware Team