I know you might have been wondering where were we have been the last few months since we last shared with you some of the positive feedback from our VMware Integrated OpenStack beta program participants. Truth is, we have been very busy working behind the scenes on some very exciting announcements. We are very happy that we can now share them with you.
Today, our CEO Pat Gelsinger, and CTO Ben Fathi, announced the launch of VMware Integrated OpenStack to thousands of customers, partners and influencers around the globe. After a very successful Beta program that included more than a thousand applications, as well as tremendous positive feedback from partners, analysts, vExperts and other influencers, we will be delivering our first-ever OpenStack distribution. VMware Integrated OpenStack will be available for use, free of charge, with VMware vSphere® Enterprise Plus, vSphere with Operations Management Enterprise Plus and all editions of vCloud Suite.
As I wrote before, our customers have been asking us to help them deliver powerful OpenStack APIs to their developers. Our goal with VMware Integrated OpenStack has been to make our customers successful with OpenStack. We wanted to help them leverage their existing VMware investments and expertise to confidently deliver production-grade OpenStack, backed by a unified support from VMware. With VMware Integrated OpenStack we deliver a solution that maximizes a customer’s chances for success. We focused our effort on simplicity and ease of use, or as we love to say it, you don’t need an OpenStack PhD with VMware Integrated OpenStack.
We believe that VMware Integrated OpenStack the fastest and easiest way to have production-grade OpenStack environments, and here’s a couple of points on why we believe so.
Streamlined Deployment and Upgrade
- vSphere Web Client Based Deployment: VMware Integrated OpenStack is a downloaded virtual appliance that is deployed using the vSphere Web Client. The vSphere Web Client then deploys all the VMs and components needed to create a highly available, production grade OpenStack infrastructure in a few simple steps.
- Automated Rolling Changes for OpenStack Deployment: Whether you are applying a security patch to the guest OS or fixing issues in OpenStack services, VMware Integrated OpenStack provides an easy, reliable and automated mechanism apply changes for OpenStack Services without extensive down time.
- Power of the Ecosystem: VMware Integrated OpenStack can be deployed on any vSphere supported hardware. VMware Integrated OpenStack leverages any storage solutions supported by vSphere through vSphere datastores to implement Cinder and Glance, the OpenStack block and image storage services.
Optimized for the Software Defined Data Center
- VMware vSphere®: VMware Integrated OpenStack leverages enterprise grade VMware vSphere features such as Dynamic Resource Scheduling (DRS) and Storage DRS through Nova, the OpenStack compute service, to achieve optimal virtual machine density. Features such as High Availability and vMotion are used to protect tenant workloads against failures.
- VMware NSX™: VMware NSX provides a highly scalable network virtualization platform with rich features such as private networks, floating IPs, logical routing and security groups that can be consumed through Neutron the OpenStack networking service. This is a mandatory requirement for creating true three tier applications in development environments.
- VMware Virtual SAN™: Virtual SAN uses server disks and flash to create radically simple, high performance, resilient shared storage for your virtual machines using x86 serves. The scale-out architecture drastically lowers your overall storage TCO while enabling administrators to specify storage attributes such as capacity, performance, and availability in the form of simple policies on a per-VM basis. Virtual SAN features are provided through Cinder and Glance, the OpenStack block and image storage services.
Integrated Operation and Management
- Simplified Configuration and Operation: Pre-defined workflows automate common OpenStack operations such as adding/removing capacity, configuration changes, patching and upgrading.
- Integrated Monitoring and Troubleshooting Tools: Out-of-the-box vRealize Operations Manager and vRealize Log Insight integrations can provide faster and easier monitoring and troubleshooting of your OpenStack infrastructure.
- Cost Visibility, Benchmarking and Financial management: Out of the Box integration with vRealize Business provides per OpenStack tenant/project visibility on capacity, cost and efficiency. vRealize Business also allows IT to accurately model the cost of services. IT can then benchmark the costs relative to peers in the same industry or public cloud offerings.
Free to use with vSphere Enterprise Plus
- We are very excited to announce that VMware Integrated OpenStack will be available for free for all new and existing vSphere Enterprise Plus customers, including vSphere with Operations Management Enterprise Plus and vCloud Suite. Production support for VMware Integrated OpenStack, which also includes supporting the open source code, is optional and can be purchased separately at $200/CPU (minimum 50 CPU).
What Early Users Are Saying
“The pace of adoption of our cloud is increasing at a substantial rate, and we needed to move to a self-service IT model. VMware Integrated OpenStack will enable us to deliver open API access to our VMware Infrastructure so users can quickly consume the resources they require, on-demand. VMware is providing us with a unified platform of virtualized compute, networking and storage. We can leverage an open cloud framework with VMware Integrated OpenStack, and combine it with vSphere for enterprise-class reliability and availability, and VMware NSX for secure micro-segmentation of our multi-tenant environment.” – Frans Van Rooyen, compute platform architect, Adobe
“We want the ability for our developers to write applications once and deploy them anywhere, regardless of the underlying infrastructure, which is why the openness of the OpenStack framework is appealing. But to roll our own OpenStack cloud from the infrastructure up would be complicated and time consuming. With VMware Integrated OpenStack, that process literally takes the click of a mouse, which is really impressive. We like the idea of being able to combine our VMware expertise with a rich layer of open APIs to serve our developers.” – Chris Nakagaki, Technical Lead Engineer at Cox Automotive
“Most of our infrastructure is running on VMware, and we wanted to build a test and development environment that supported self-service for developers. We participated in the VMware Integrated OpenStack beta program and had a great experience. During our evaluation, we were able to set up a complete OpenStack environment on our production VMware clusters in less than 30 minutes. We have received great service and support from VMware, so we also like the fact that our OpenStack deployment will be supported by VMware directly.” – Hendrik Nehnes, Group Director IT Operations, Zanox AG
As we have gone through the Beta process, we have consistently heard from customers that they are interested in OpenStack, but not really interested in moving away from VMware as their core infrastructure. If VMware can deliver on the promise of the VMware Integrated OpenStack, it could truly be the best of both worlds for them. We have no doubt we’re up to the task.