“Midmarket CIOs are frustrated with the high costs and complexity of the storage systems required to house this data. Rapid data growth continues to put pressure on capital budgets and increase the complexity of managing hybrid storage environments. Midmarket IT organizations can overcome this challenge by evaluating emerging storage vendors and new storage technologies and approaches.” – Gartner.
Traditional SRM (Storage Resource Manager) aren’t equipped to support all these complicated environments; let alone support for newer SDS (Software Defined Storage) technologies. As a result, there is an opportunity to come up with a hybrid solution that supports traditional protocols such as NFS/iSCSI, FC/FCoE and the latest SDS.
Announcing vRealize Management Pack for Storage devices
We are pleased to announce the 6.0.1 release for vRealize Management Pack for Storage devices to bridge this gap. We had released an early version of this management pack back in December 2014, which supported FC/FCoE. Now, we have added support for NFS & iSCSI protocols and VSAN 6 (Beta support). More information about support for VSAN 6 with vRealize Operations will be shared later.
The vRealize Operations Management Pack for Storage Devices can be installed on any Advanced, or Enterprise edition of vRealize Operations Manager Installation. This includes both the appliance and standalone deployments. The Management Pack can connect to any storage device that has a VASA provider, and SAN/NAS Switches from Brocade or Cisco using SMI-S. Performance Data is collected from Host HBA’s, NIC, VMs, and SAN/NAS switches.
VMware vRealize Operations addresses today’s operations management challenges with an innovative approach and proven technology, delivering on the three characteristics needed for success:
- Automated – Patented, self-learning analytics enable a much higher degree of automation than traditional management tools, delivering nearly 70% productivity gains, 30% reduction in resource consumption, according to Forrester research.
- Integrated – An integrated approach to performance, capacity, configuration management, delivered as an integrated suite, helps you manage the environment holistically and unifies teams across infrastructure and operations.
- Comprehensive – Built on an open and extensible operations platform designed for dynamic hybrid cloud environments, vRealize Operations delivers comprehensive performance, capacity, change, configuration and compliance management, application discovery and monitoring, and cost metering capabilities.
The vRealize Operations Management Pack for Storage Devices 6.0.1 provides visibility into your storage environment. Using common protocols, you can collect performance and health data from the storage devices. Pre-defined dashboards allow you to follow the path from a VM to the storage volume and identify any problem that may exist along that path.
Key Capabilities of vRealize Management Pack for Storage devices
- End to End view of the data path through the SAN and NAS; from VM to storage volume
- Support for both NFS/iSCSI and FC/FCoE protocols
- Access to storage devices leveraging standardized protocols; CIM, SMI-S, & VASA (1.0 & 2.0)
- Ready to use dashboards for Health and Performance
- Analytics for common APD and PDL storage conditions
Signup for VSAN 6 Beta
This release has beta support for Virtual SAN (VSAN) 6. If you are interested in signing up for VSAN 6 beta, please sign up at http://www.vmware.com/go/vrops4vsan-beta