by Rich Bourdeau
I came across this case study about EMC’s IT’s Database-as-a-Service deployment and ITaaS reference architecture. Below is a quick summary, but there is an incredible amount of insights and lessons learned that can be gained from reading the full paper. Regardless if you have already deployed, are in the middle of deploying, or just thinking about deploying a private or hybrid cloud infrastructure I encourage everyone to take a few minutes to read this paper. You will not be disappointed.
- Deliver IT as a Service for both IT and Database administrators
- Increase stability through standardization
- Deploy Apps, DBs and VMs Faster and with less effort
- Automate 7 process phases across 14 teams
- eCALM – EMC’s Cloud Automation Lifecycle Management Platform
Self-Service provisioning and full lifecycle management
- Scale apps and databases “up or down”, “in or out”
- Based on VMware Cloud Management software
- vCloud Automation Center – Automate the delivery and full lifecycle management of Infrastructure, applications, databases and other IT services
- vCenter Orchestrator – Adapt vCloud Automation Center’s purpose built automation to meet EMC’s unique requirements
- Puppet – transforms a provisioned VM into a fully functional, running database server, as ordered in the service catalog.
- vCenter Operations Manager – provides operational dashboards, performance analytics and capacity management
- 99%+ improvement in service delivery times
- 2 Weeks to under 1 Hour elapsed time
- Eliminate 14-24 hours of manual effort
- Increased stability and reliability of delivered systems
- Less rework due to manual errors
- DBAs could respond quicker to critical issues
- Empower DBAs to act quickly within established guidelines
Learn more about VMware’s Cloud Automation solution
- Watch the VMware IT Private Cloud – Exceeding Expectations video (2:28 min)
- Learn using the VCloud Automation 6.x Video Library
- Try HOL-SDC-1321 – vCloud Automation Center 6 from A to Z
- Check out what some of our customers are saying in the customer case studies on our web site.
Need help deploying your private cloud infrastructure or developing your business justification? Contact us and our experts can help your team build the business case and the solution that will maximize your IT productivity.