Happy Holidays from the VMware Skyline team!
VMware Skyline™ Recent Announcements
We made several exciting announcements last month at VMworld in Barcelona, including the GA of Version 2.0 and the availability of Skyline Log Assist™, new Inventory Filter feature, Data Segmentation and Enhanced User Access Permissions:
Skyline Log Assist
- Eliminates the need for customers to manually upload log files during the support resolution process, reducing time-to-resolution by hours or days
- Enables an at-a-glance view of the vCenter objects Skyline is analyzing, including datacenters, clusters and hosts
Data Segmentation and Enhanced User Access Permissions
- Now you can set up your Skyline Collectors by organization, region, business groups, etc. and control who has access to Skyline Advisor. Learn more in the Capabilities Update article below.
More new features coming in early 2019!
VMware Skyline in Action—Delivering Value Today
We currently have over 1500 customers using Skyline to identify and remediate potential issues in their environments. Over the last quarter, customers on average remediated 39% of the proactive findings identified by Skyline, increasing overall environment health and security. We recommend that you review the Skyline proactive findings and recommendations identified in your environment, and remediate as many as possible to avoid potential problems and costly downtime.
Learn how Allegis Group is taking advantage of Skyline’s proactive capabilities.
Capabilities Update: Skyline Enhancements
We encourage you to upgrade to Skyline Version 2.0. Skyline will be accessed via VMware Cloud Services This allows customers who have multiple organizations or business units to segment their data, giving complete control on what data can be seen and by who within Skyline Advisor. The Skyline Collector will be registered via VMware Cloud Services with a token. For information how to register a Skyline Collector, and create an Organization, please visit the VMware Skyline Documentation page.
Reminder: Products supported by Skyline are VMware vSphere® 5.5 or higher, VMware NSX® 6.1 or higher, and VMware vSAN™ 6.7 or higher. Support for Horizon View and vRealize Operations is coming soon.
Skyline Findings and Recommendations Improvements
We are constantly improving and adding to the Findings and Recommendations Skyline provides. Take action by leveraging the Recommendations found in Skyline Advisor to help improve the stability and reliability of your environment. Below are few new examples of potential issues Skyline can proactively identify within your environment.
- NTP is not configured on your ESXi hosts. The time must be synchronized in the environment.
- End of General Support for vSphere ESXi 5.5
- VMware ESXi, Workstation, and Fusion updates address uninitialized stack memory usage in the vmxnet3 virtual network adapter.
- Operating System-Specific Mitigations address L1 Terminal Fault – OS vulnerability in VMware Virtual Appliances.
- End of General Support for vSphere vCenter 5.5.
- End of General Support: VMware NSX for vSphere 6.2.x.
- Communication has been lost with the ESXi Guest Introspection MUX module. This may cause intermittent network I/O disruption to guest virtual machines.
- Upgrading from NSX-v 6.2.0, 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 to NSX-v 6.3.5 and later version fails.
vCenter Support Assistant EOL
Are you using vCenter Support Assistant? This tool provides capabilities similar to VMware Skyline, enabling proactive identification and resolution of potential vCenter issues. VMware recently announced Support Assistant End of Life effective March 5, 2019. Skyline provides all of the capabilities of Support Assistant, plus additional functionality. If you are already using proactive support with Skyline, you should find the transition from Support Assistant to Skyline relatively seamless. For more information visit: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/59166?lang=en_US
Resources for More Information
Skyline 2.0 Customer Webinar + Demo
Operational Summary Report (for Premier Services customers)
If you’re a Production Support customer and would like to learn about Premier Services, email PremierSupportProgram@vmware.com.
If you have additional questions about VMware Skyline, please visit the Skyline Community or contact your Premier Services Support Account Manager.