Enterprise applications of extended reality (XR) are growing at an exponential rate. They’re transforming how we work, train, and interact with others as employees and engage with brands as consumers. XR is a catch-all term for all the technologies that extend or enhance reality. While augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) are considered the pillars of the XR market, assisted reality and mixed reality (MR) are also included.
According to Mordor Intelligence, the XR market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of almost 35% over the next five years, with some saying it could surpass $1.1 trillion by 2030. Overall, XR devices are set to revolutionize how enterprises approach specific workflows, training, remote assistance, design, collaboration, and customer experiences.
The alphabet soup of extended reality
Here’s a guide to the different types of XR:
The challenge with XR headsets in the enterprise
The solution: Support any XR headset at scale with Workspace ONE UEM
At VMware, we understand XR headsets have different technology requirements than traditional mobile devices and desktops, so we’ve been dedicated to delivering solutions optimized to support assisted reality, AR, MR, and VR devices. We’ve also partnered closely with the top XR device manufacturers to standardize enterprise management and support for XR headsets.
VMware Workspace ONE UEM is the only ISO 27001- and SOC 2-certified digital workspace platform consistently recognized as an industry leader by analysts, with comprehensive support for every device type and use case. For XR headsets, Workspace ONE enables zero-touch enrollment and configuration, advanced customization and access controls for shared devices, simplified app deployment and management, full device lifecycle management, and remote employee support. And because Workspace ONE was built for complex deployments, customers can easily support any XR headset at scale — alongside existing mobile devices and desktops — from a single console.
- Any use case at scale: Support the latest XR devices from HTC VIVE, Magic Leap, Meta, Microsoft, PICO, RealWear, and Vuzix, including the HTC VIVE Focus Series and XR Elite, Magic Leap 2, Meta Quest 2 and Quest Pro, Microsoft HoloLens 2, PICO Neo3 Pro and 4 Enterprise (4E), RealWear Navigator 500 Series and HMT-1 Series, and Vuzix M-Series and Blade 2.
- Streamlined staging: Save time and resources with zero-touch enrollment and configuration options, including QR scan, sideload, staged QR, batch configuration, automated, and scripted enrollment.
- Device management: Leverage extensive Android Device Policy support, remote configuration, certificate-based Wi-Fi configuration, and Simple Certificate Enrollment Protocol (SCEP). Easily track device state, manage passcodes, and perform remote lock and wipe.
- Application management: Remotely install and manage XR apps across devices and organization groups with version management, large file support, relay servers, content delivery network (CDN), and advanced condition-based installation and update schedules.
- Enterprise-grade security: Ensure devices are secure with directory integration, multi-factor authentication (MFA), conditional access, and per-app virtual private network (VPN). Enable single sign-on (SSO) into any XR app via VMware Workspace ONE Tunnel and VMware Workspace ONE Access.
- Shared device management and custom user experiences: Improve the security and usability of XR devices with the ability to lock devices into single or multi-app mode, configure device settings across worker roles, customize device UI, and enable check-in/check-out with VMware Workspace ONE Launcher (for assisted reality and AR headsets) and Workspace ONE XR Hub (for VR headsets).
- Purpose-built analytics and automation: Leverage insights and analytics to make data-driven decisions and drive automation to improve the digital employee experience (DEX) and strengthen security with VMware Workspace ONE Intelligence.
- Remote employee support: Remotely assist employees with tasks and issues in real time, directly from the Workspace ONE console, with VMware Workspace ONE Assist for assisted reality smart glasses.
Note: Management capabilities may vary by device type, manufacturer, and model.
To learn more, visit vmware.com/products/workspace-one/unified-endpoint-management, check out VMware Digital Workspace Tech Zone, or contact VMware Sales. Our team is ready to discuss strategies for how we can help you with your unique XR use case and more, today!