We’re thrilled to announce that for the fifth year in a row VMware has been named a Leader in the 2022 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) Tools. VMware also scored highest in four out of four Use Cases in the 2022 Gartner® Critical Capabilities for UEM Tools.
In this year’s Magic Quadrant™, Gartner® recognized VMware as a Leader for overall Ability to Execute and Completeness of Vision, positioned furthest to the right for Completeness of Vision. In the corresponding Gartner® Critical Capabilities report, VMware received the highest scores across all four Use Cases: Security-Centric Management (4.21/5.0), Modern Windows PC (4.13/5.0), Remote Worker (4.10/5.0), and Nonstandard PC (3.63/5.0).
Named a Leader in 2022 Magic Quadrant™ for UEM Tools
In the new hybrid work era, organizations are struggling to support an increasingly diverse set of endpoints, protect themselves against cyberattacks, and attract and retain skilled workers. In response, today’s IT leaders are seeking UEM tools that go beyond basic management and provide analytics and automation to track performance and reduce IT workload, enable Zero Trust security, and deliver digital employee experience management (DEEM) across all deployments — regardless of device type, platform, or use case.
According to Gartner®, “By 2027, unified endpoint management (UEM) and digital employee experience (DEX) tools will converge to drive autonomous endpoint management, reducing human effort by at least 40%. By 2025, more than 90% of clients will use cloud-based UEM tools to manage the majority of their estate, up from 50% in early 2022.”
We believe Gartner® recognized VMware as a Leader in this Magic Quadrant™ because of our Workspace ONE product, which enables customers to drive workplace modernization and provide exceptional employee and customer experiences.
Positioned Highest in 4 out of 4 Use Cases in 2022 Critical Capabilities for UEM Tools
As an essential companion to the Gartner® Magic Quadrant™, Gartner® Critical Capabilities research provides deeper insight into providers’ product and service offerings by extending the Magic Quadrant analysis. In this year’s report, Gartner® presented four Use Cases that represent common issues infrastructure and operations (I&O) leaders are solving with UEM tools. The research looked at 15 critical capabilities to determine the overall score for each Use Case and VMware — for its Workspace ONE product — received the highest scores across all four.
- Security-Centric Management: 4.21 / 5.0
- Modern Windows PC: 4.13 / 5.0
- Remote Worker: 4.10 / 5.0
- Nonstandard PC: 3.63 / 5.0
Workspace ONE — a core component of VMware’s pre-integrated Anywhere Workspace solutions — enables employees to work from anywhere with secure, frictionless experiences. Whether your organization consists of frontline workers or hybrid and remote knowledge workers, our Anywhere Workspace services address end-user, IT, and security challenges to empower today’s distributed workforce with multi-modal employee experiences, comprehensive security, and automated workspace management.
The following Use Case descriptions were defined by Gartner® and pulled directly from this year’s Critical Capabilities report.
Security-Centric Management Use Case
“Capabilities in this use case include creating granular device policies for device configuration, compliance and data security. Evaluation includes the ability to offer dynamic enforcement of policies based on user, device and task context. It also involves endpoint security capabilities in the UEM offering, as well as interaction with third-party security infrastructure (e.g., mobile threat defense [MTD], endpoint protection platform [EPP], and endpoint detection and response [EDR]).”
Modern Windows PC Use Case
“Capabilities in this use case include those needed for the overall management of Windows 10/11. Critical capabilities to this use case include application management, CMT features, endpoint analytics, automated device enrollment and Windows management.”
Remote Worker Use Case
“Capabilities here include those essential to provision, deploy, manage, support and decommission devices that are not directly connected to the company’s network. Critical capabilities to this use case include automated device enrollment, Windows management, application management, endpoint analytics and automation, secure remote access (VPN), remote support and control, and MDM.”
Nonstandard PC Use Case
“Capabilities in this use case include agentless or agent-based management of non-Windows devices. Critical capabilities to this use case include application management, CMT features, Linux management, macOS management and Chrome OS management.”
VMware continues to deliver a best-in-class UEM solution that not only meets the needs of our customers but provides an outstanding experience for both IT and the end-user. Workspace ONE continues to be the only UEM that integrates flexible and adaptive endpoint management, intelligent insights and automation, comprehensive digital workspace security, and device-aware access policies into a single platform.
- Manage Any Endpoint on Any Platform: Manage and secure any SaaS, web, or native app across any mobile, desktop, or single-purpose device — regardless of whether it’s corporate-owned, corporate-owned, personally enabled (COPE), or bring-your-own (BYO) — across any platform (including iOS, Android, Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, or Linux) from a single powerful, cloud-native platform at scale.
- Deliver Insights and Automation Across the Anywhere Workspace: Gain real-time visibility into your entire technology environment with VMware Workspace ONE Intelligence, which enables IT to leverage insights and analytics to proactively resolve issues before they become a problem and make informed, data-driven decisions. With Freestyle Orchestrator low-code orchestration platform, IT can also streamline processes and everyday tasks with workflow orchestration and automation.
- Provide an Exceptional Employee Experience: Improve employee engagement and productivity through a single app with VMware Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub, which delivers a digital workspace that’s consistent in look and feel across any device—regardless of platform, network, or location. Empower employees with single sign-on (SSO) access to a unified app catalog, self-service, internal communications, People Search, quick workflows, training, and more. Integrated per-app tunneling ensures any internal or public app connected to your network is secure (even those located behind the corporate firewall). And if an employee runs into an issue, VMware Workspace ONE Assist and our new VMware Workspace ONE ITSM Connector for ServiceNow enables service desks to resolve it in the fastest, most efficient way possible.
- Streamline Device Setup with Automated Out-of-the-Box Onboarding: Enable over-the-air onboarding and deeper levels of configuration across mobile, desktop, and single-purpose devices, including out-of-the box, imageless deployment for macOS laptops and Drop Ship Provisioning for Windows-based Dell, Lenovo, and HP PCs. Enable IT to easily customize configuration of work profiles (like email, VPN, Wi-Fi, apps, content, intranet sites, and other back-end resources) to give employees immediate access to what they need to be productive, regardless of their location, within minutes of device startup.
Download this year’s Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ and Critical Capabilities for UEM Tools reports to see why we believe VMware is uniquely positioned to help you drive IT modernization, implement intrinsic Zero Trust security, and empower today’s anywhere workforce with Workspace ONE. And don’t miss your chance to join us in person (or online) at VMware Explore 2022 (formerly VMworld). With multiple events happening across the globe, Explore is your chance to attend engaging thought-leadership keynotes, technical sessions, and hands-on labs, as well as interact with industry visionaries, VMware experts, and peers. Explore US will take place later this month (August 29–September 1) in San Francisco and Explore Europe will take place November 7–10 in Barcelona. We’ll also be hosting events in Brazil, China, Japan, and Singapore throughout October and November. We can’t wait to see you there!
Gartner Magic Quadrant for Unified Endpoint Management Tools, Tom Cipolla, Dan Wilson, Chris Silva, Craig Fisler, August 1, 2022. Gartner, Critical Capabilities for Unified Endpoint Management Tools, Tom Cipolla, Dan Wilson, Chris Silva, Craig Fisler, August 3, 2022.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
This graphic was published by Gartner, Inc. as part of a larger research document and should be evaluated in the context of the entire document. The Gartner document is available upon request from VMware, Inc.
Gartner and Magic Quadrant are registered trademarks of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and are used herein with permission. All rights reserved.