Today, we’re excited to share that VMware was positioned as a Leader in three recent IDC MarketScape vendor assessments for the unified endpoint management (UEM) market:
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Unified Endpoint Management Software 2022 Vendor Assessment (Doc #US48325122, May 2022)
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Unified Endpoint Management Software for Ruggedized/Internet of Things Device Deployments 2022 Vendor Assessment (Doc #US48325322e, May 2022)
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Unified Endpoint Management Software for Apple Devices 2022 Vendor Assessment (Doc #US48325222e, May 2022)
This was the fifth year in a row VMware was named a Leader in both the UEM Software and UEM for Ruggedized/Internet of Things (IoT) Device Deployments MarketScape reports, and the second year in a row we were positioned as a Leader in the UEM for Apple Devices assessment, which was published for the first time last year.
IDC MarketScape vendor assessments are designed to provide an overview of the competitive fitness of information and communications technology (ICT) suppliers in a given market. The research utilizes a rigorous scoring methodology based on both qualitative and quantitative criteria. In this year’s assessments for the UEM market, IDC specifically advised technology buyers to look for solutions with support for hybrid work, strong baseline mobile support and UEM capabilities, a roadmap for customer success, workspace intelligence and analytics, conditional access controls and policy enforcement, strong portfolio of adjacent and complementary products and services, broad legacy and modern PC management support functions, and support for BYO. IDC also advised buyers to look for solutions with consistent support across both mobile and PC form factors for at least three of the four major operating systems (OSs): Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
We believe the IDC MarketScape recognized VMware as a Leader in all three assessments because of our Workspace ONE UEM solution, which enables customers to drive workplace modernization, implement Zero Trust access, and provide the best employee experience. As an intelligence-driven digital workspace platform, Workspace ONE integrates access control, application and multi-OS endpoint management, virtualization, security, networking, analytics and automation, and remote support into a single platform, making it easy for organizations everywhere to optimize the digital employee experience, remain agile, and build long-term resilience.
IDC MarketScape for UEM Software
According to the IDC MarketScape, companies are discovering new use cases and requirements for UEM software beyond mobile and on-network PC deployments. In addition to supporting knowledge workers in hybrid work scenarios, organizations need to support frontline workers using multiple device types (both on- and off-network) in task-specific scenarios. VMware continues to deliver a best-in-class UEM solution that not only meets the needs of our customers but provides an outstanding experience for both IT and the end-user. Over the past year, we’ve:
- Delivered advanced management capabilities for mobile devices (iOS and Android) and laptops (Windows 10 and 11, macOS, Chrome OS, and Linux) used by knowledge workers, single-purpose devices shared by frontline workers, and unattended devices (like interactive kiosks, digital signage, and IoT endpoints)
- Launched VMware Workspace ONE Mobile Threat Defense, which, in combination with VMware Carbon Black Cloud and VMware Workspace ONE Intelligence provide the most advanced endpoint security to identify and stop known and unknown internal and external threats
- Launched a digital employee experience (DEX) solution, which ensures IT can deliver an exceptional DEX to employees and measure, analyze, and remediate data, issues, and experience
- Introduced Freestyle Orchestrator for Workspace ONE—a radically different way to interact with the end-user computing ecosystem—which enables organizations to create intricate no- to low-code workflows and unlock a variety of modernization solutions across onboarding, compliance, the application lifecycle, and more
- Extended support for Linux endpoint management, so customers can manage any Linux device—from developer workstations to unattended IoT endpoints—alongside existing deployments at scale, with distribution-agnostic support across any x86 or ARM-based Linux version (including CentOS, Debian, Fedora, Linux Mint, openSUSE, Raspbian, Red Hat, Ubuntu, and more)
- Launched VMware Workspace ONE ITSM Connector for ServiceNow, which allows help desks to perform Workspace ONE UEM actions and launch VMware Workspace ONE Assist remote support sessions directly from ServiceNow, enabling help desks to track and resolve issues in the fastest, most efficient way possible (to keep employees happy and engaged) and decrease resolution times, escalations, and overall support costs
When it comes to modern management, Workspace ONE has experienced unprecedented growth, with our device activations for Windows and macOS seeing a high double-digit increase over the past year. For Windows devices, Workspace ONE provides enhanced support for customers migrating from traditional network-based client management tools (CMT) to a cloud-native modern management to support today’s anywhere workforce. We also now support Drop Ship Provisioning for Windows-based Dell, Lenovo, and HP PCs, which gives customers a zero-touch provisioning experience and deeper levels of configuration.
Download an excerpt of the report (IDC #US48325122, May 2022) to see why we believe VMware is uniquely positioned to help you improve cost savings, security, and user experience with Workspace ONE.
IDC MarketScape for UEM for Ruggedized/IoT Device Deployments
According to the IDC MarketScape, support for single-purpose devices (including ruggedized and IoT endpoints) is a key requirement in any UEM product evaluation. Unlike standard devices, single-purpose endpoints address specific business use cases and require a UEM that supports tactical workflows and operations.
Workspace ONE was built to meet the unique management requirements of ruggedized and non-ruggedized single-purpose devices and IoT endpoints. Whether your deployment consists of desktop workstations, rugged mobile computers or handheld scanners, point-of-sale or point-of-care devices, interactive kiosks, digital signage, or augmented or virtual reality headsets, Workspace ONE makes it easy for enterprises across all industries to stage, manage, and support each endpoint throughout its lifecycle. Over the past year, we’ve:
- Made significant updates to our shared device management solution, VMware Workspace ONE Launcher, which makes it easy for IT to lock shared or multi-user devices in single or multi-app mode, support check-in/check-out, and customize the UI to match your company’s brand
- Made enhancements within Workspace ONE Intelligence, so IT can leverage frontline-focused dashboards for integrated insights, analytics, and automation to make data-driven decisions (like predicting battery failure and automating replacement) and proactively improve the frontline worker DEX
- Announced support for shift-based access control for BYO and corporate-owned, personally enabled (COPE) deployments, which enables IT to selectively restrict access to work content, services, and apps after hours based on use case, worker role, or individual (through integrations with third-party workforce management providers) to ensure security, compliance with employee hours and overtime labor laws, and improved worker productivity and engagement
- Launched an exciting beta specifically designed for augmented or virtual reality headsets called VMware Workspace ONE XR Hub, which enables IT to lock devices into an app catalog, customize UI, enable single sign-on (SSO), and stream apps from a virtual desktop
Workspace ONE is the only UEM with proven, complex, and large-scale deployments of non-traditional endpoints (like single-purpose devices and IoT endpoints) across all verticals (including retail, healthcare, supply chain sectors, and more). That’s why 10 out of the top 10 global retailers rely on Workspace ONE to modernize retail IT and improve customer experiences at scale.
Download an excerpt of the report (IDC #US48325322e, May 2022) to see why we believe VMware is distinctively positioned to help you securely manage single-purpose endpoints (like ruggedized and IoT devices) used by frontline workers, alongside your existing deployments, with Workspace ONE.
IDC MarketScape for UEM for Apple Devices
Adoption of Apple devices in the enterprise is growing rapidly, with Apple seeing a 22% spike in shipments from last year, according to IDC’s 2022 Quarterly Personal Computing Device Tracker (January 2022).
As a trusted Apple Mobility Partner, VMware continues to help enterprises transform their business and elevate the employee experience with iOS, iPadOS, macOS, and tvOS devices. For macOS devices, Workspace ONE provides a modern management approach, with out-of-the-box and over-the-air onboarding, imageless deployment, same-day management support for Apple’s latest releases, and a consistent and frictionless end-user experience. Last year, we expanded our macOS capabilities with:
- Enhanced enrollment features, including provisioning and enablement for native macOS and SaaS-based apps, which allows devices to be configured directly out-of-the-box
- Intelligence-driven vulnerability management and advanced scripting and sensors, which help IT collect any system attribute (device, OS, software, etc.) and automate compliance
- Enhanced OS and app update lifecycle for day two management
- Freestyle Orchestrator to simplify complex IT workflows
Download an excerpt of the report (IDC #US48325222e, May 2022) to see why we believe VMware is exclusively positioned to help you securely manage iOS and macOS devices, alongside your existing deployments, with Workspace ONE.
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Unified Endpoint Management Software 2022 Vendor Assessment (Doc #US48325122, Phil Hochmuth, May 25, 2022
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Unified Endpoint Management Software for Ruggedized/Internet of Things Device Deployments 2022 Vendor Assessment (Doc #US48325322e), Phil Hochmuth, May 25, 2022
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Unified Endpoint Management Software for Apple Devices 2022 Vendor Assessment (Doc #US48325222e), Phil Hochmuth, May 25, 2022