Thanks everyone for making VMworld 2014 another successful event! The Federation Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC) booth had a lot of you stopping in to learn about the EVP Federation solution with EMC, VMware, RSA and Pivotal. In addition, we saw great attendance during Wednesday’s breakout session #SDDC3280, covering what is the Federation SDDC and getting a sneak peek of the new solution through a live demo provided by World Wide Technology (WWT) through WWT’s Advanced Technology Center.
The Federation is enabling a broad range of solutions that bring together the unique technologies from each company. The solutions will allow IT organizations and developers to reduce costs, create new applications, drive end-user productivity, and manage the rapid growth of data. Each Federation company represents unique products and services to deliver solutions for the Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC), Platform as a Service (PaaS), Virtual Workspace, Security Analytics, and Business Data Lake.
Software-Defined Data Center Solution
This solution creates a fully automated infrastructure for Compute, Network and Storage. SDDC is the best foundation for enabling IT-as-a-Service, Private Cloud and Hybrid Cloud.
- EMC VMAX, VNX, ViPR, Isilon, Atmos, Avamar, Networker, Data Domain, RecoverPoint and VPLEX.
- VMware vCenter/ESXi, vCloud Suite, Virtual SAN (VSAN) and NSX.
Platform as a Service Solution
This solution enables rapid development of next-generation applications for Mobile, Social, Cloud and Big Data. PaaS enables application portability between Cloud environments.
- Pivotal ONE (includes Pivotal CloudFoundry) and Pivotal Labs.
Virtual Workspace Solution
This solution enables secure, virtual workspace environments for both desktop and mobile worker needs. Virtual Workspace allows IT organizations to deliver the flexibility of end-user device (BYOD), without compromising the performance, security of applications or data.
- VMware Horizon Workspace, AirWatch and Virtual SAN.
- EMC Syncplicity. EMC server-based storage with ScaleIO and all-flash storage with XtremeIO.
Business Data Lake Solution
This solution enables customers to build infrastructure and applications for Big Data analytics. Business Data Lake allows companies to bring together big data and fast data from multiple sources and enable new insight, often in real-time, to drive more intelligent business decision-making.
- Pivotal Big Data Suite provides data management and analysis at this layer.
- EMC ViPR and Atmos storage platforms for Big Data.
Security Analytics Solution
This solution allows IT organizations and security/compliance groups to actively monitor and address security threats in real time. By using information from user, network and application data sources, Security Analytics can provide insight into trends, attacks and security threats that were previously too complex for any individual system to comprehend.
- RSA Security Analytics sits on top of the Business Data Lake solution to provide identity and access management for authentication. RSA also includes support for governance, risk, and compliance checks to ensure the environment is in running according to best practices and meeting your environment’s policies and regulations.
So what exactly is the Federation SDDC? Features of the Federation SDDC include:
- Automated provisioning, for allocating cloud infrastructure resources to support cloud workloads on demand.
- Self-service, which lets users request and spin up their own workloads using cloud resource.
- Monitoring, for tracking cloud infrastructure uptime, performance, and capacity.
- Metering and chargeback, which ensures that resource consumption is measured and billed as it’s used.
- Multi-tenancy, for grouping and partitioning workloads according to their security requirements.
- Resource elasticity, which lets users add resources to their workloads in response to changing capacity and performance demands.
- Workload-optimized storage, for ensuring that different workloads are hosted on the appropriate storage tiers for delivering the level of performance that’s needed.
- Backup and recovery services for protecting and recovering cloud applications, workloads and data.
If you haven’t looked at it yet, don’t forget to check out the World Wide Technology Solution Brief covering the different use cases validated for the Federation SDDC.