VMware announced the new VMware Skyline Collector 3.2.0 and VMware Skyline Advisor™ Pro releases with accelerated email notification delivery, dashboard enhancements, self-service reports for VMware Success 360™ and Premier Services, and new proactive Findings.
About VMware Skyline
VMware Skyline™ is a self-service proactive intelligence offering included with your VMware Production, Premier, VMware Success 360 or Aria Universal Suite subscription. VMware Skyline automatically and securely collects, aggregates, and analyses product usage data to proactively identify potential issues, security vulnerabilities, impacts to usability, and configuration recommendations. Additionally, Skyline Log Assist assists VMware Technical Support Engineers to improve support request time-to-resolution.
What’s New in VMware Skyline 3.2.0
Skyline Collector 3.2 resolves a technical issue with NSX-T and Skyline Collector. When upgrading NSX-T from 3.x to 4.0.x the endpoint for Collector fails. This affects all versions of Collector up through 18.104.22.168. We recommend upgrading to Collector v3.2 to resolve the issue. Please refer to KB89303 for details.
Here are the key features and capabilities of VMware Skyline Collector 3.2:
- Added support for LDAP Channel Binding when using AD authentication.
- Added support for LDAP Simple Bind authentication as an alternative to Kerberos authentication when configuring AD.
- Added support task for log cleanup.
- Changed and improved logging, error handling, and user-friendly error messages.
- Improved unsupported VCF version detection by parsing jwt token.
Access the VMware Skyline Collector 3.2 Release Notes to learn more.
Note that all of your Skyline Collectors must be running v3.0 or higher to take advantage of Skyline Advisor Pro, which is which is smarter, easier and 12X faster than Skyline Advisor.
Step-by-step upgrade of VMware Skyline Collector to 3.2.0 using command line
As a VMware Techncial Account Manager, I provide guidance on topics like this to my customers all the time. Now you can benefit too with these step-by-step instructions which will lead you through the process of upgrading VMware Skyline Collector 3.2.0 through command line.
- Login to VMware vSphere Web Client and check with VMware Skyline appliance VM
- Click “LAUNCH WEB CONSOLE” to open VMware Skyline Collector console
3. You will see a collector’s version of VMware Skyline.
Take note that the current version is 22.214.171.124 build 18775414.
- Launch the VMware Skyline Collector web console.
- Log in to VMware Skyline Collector
- To login, enter your credentials.
- Username: root
- To check the version, use the following command.
/opt/vmware/bin/vamicli version –appliance
8. Use the following command to see if there are any available updates.
/opt/vmware/bịn/vamicli update –check
9. To upgrade manually, use the following command.
/opt/vmware/bin/vamicli update –install latest –accepteula
- You can also check VMware Skyline Collector version by logging in to VMware Skyline Advisor Pro (https://skyline.vmware.com/advisor/).
Engage a TAM
Upgrading VMware Skyline Collector to the most recent version addresses a technical issue, adds more functionality, and the ability to take advantage of all new features as well as forthcoming additions in subsequent updates.
Upgrade guidance is one small part of how Technical Account Managers work with customers. We do so much more – such as identifying gaps impeding progress and providing prioritized recommends for improving efficiency, resiliency, security, and sustainability for operational optimization. We can help develop solution roadmaps and provide workstream guidance for advancing your technology objectives.
Don’t have a TAM? Contact your VMware Account Representative to learn how Technical Account Management Services can help your team achieve your objectives.