We’re excited to introduce Kubernetes Academy Brought to You by VMware—a free, product-agnostic Kubernetes and cloud native technology education platform. As Kubernetes adoption continues to soar, Kubernetes Academy provides an accessible learning path to advance your skill set, regardless of where you are on your Kubernetes journey. Learning a new technology can be challenging, especially one as young as Kubernetes. If you find yourself eager to learn more about Kubernetes but you’re short on time, Kubernetes Academy was made with you in mind.
We were inspired by Khan Academy—we admire how Sal Khan broke down complex topics into component parts that are easy to understand. Since its inception in 2008, Khan Academy has taken on a life of its own—hosting content from a variety of instructors on a multitude of topics. That’s our goal with Kubernetes Academy—to build a wealth of knowledge from instructors throughout the open source community to provide well-rounded, unbiased training.
Kubernetes Academy courses are composed of a series of video lessons—each five-to-eight minutes long. The courses dive into topics for skill levels ranging from beginner to intermediate, with advanced topics being introduced soon. A breadth of courses are available for various roles, from system administrators new to Kubernetes to operators ready to manage clusters.
Meet the Kubernetes Academy instructors
The Kubernetes Academy instructors are subject-matter experts who have volunteered their time to teach courses. Using their experiences working on the VMware team of Kubernetes architects and trainers as well as their personal experiences learning Kubernetes, our instructors design and deliver practical Kubernetes training.
Meet the team of Kubernetes Academy instructors:
Tim is a Staff Kubernetes Architect at VMware, which he joined as part of the Heptio acquisition. In his role, he helps evaluate and optimize customers’ desired architectures. He helps deploy and integrate various CNCF projects to meet advanced needs in alignment with customer goals. He is an active contributor to the upstream Kubernetes community. He participated in the Kubernetes 1.14 and 1.15 release teams and works on the Cluster Lifecycle SIG.
Olive is an ex-scientist who has found her way into the innovative and sometimes experimental world of Kubernetes and its ecosystem. She works at VMware, which she transitioned to as part of the Heptio acquisition. She is working on upstream Kubernetes, and helps customers design and build their Kubernetes platforms. She has previously worked at Red Hat, HP, and Fujitsu.
Scott is an architect in the Cloud Native Apps Business Unit, having rejoined VMware as part of the Heptio acquisition. In his role, Scott helps customers get platforms like Kubernetes up and running and assists them in deploying and delivering applications with open source technologies. Scott is a published author and a speaker at industry events around the world, and he maintains a well-read technical blog at https://blog.scottlowe.org.
John began his career in technology as an instructor for various DevOps and continuous delivery tools. Eventually, he joined Docker to lead the West Region Technical Account Management team. While at Docker, he helped design and implement container strategy and tooling for some of its largest customers. He decided it was time to get more hands-on with Kubernetes and the upstream open source community, which led him to VMware via the Heptio acquisition. At VMware, he focuses primarily on Kubernetes and associated CNCF projects to help customers make the transition to a cloud native world. He also volunteers as an industry mentor for ADA Developers Academy—a year-long intensive coding school for women and gender diverse people with no previous professional experience.
Josh is a Staff Cloud Native Architect at VMware who has been working in the Kubernetes space for the last 3.5 years. He started his Kubernetes journey at CoreOS, moved to Heptio, and is now part of VMware. He really enjoys digging into distributed systems and helping others understand their systems’ inner workings.
What to expect in a Kubernetes Academy course
Kubernetes Academy courses are composed of a series of bite-size video lessons developed by expert instructors. While the course catalog will continue to expand, here’s a preview of what’s available today:
- Containers 101: This course lays the groundwork for your Kubernetes journey. You’ll learn foundational knowledge on containers and how they work.
- Kubernetes 101: This course lays out the case for container orchestration and provides an overview of the concepts underlying Kubernetes, the leading container orchestration platform.
- Kubernetes in Depth: From Kubernetes architecture to quick dives into Kubernetes object types, the Kubernetes in Depth course covers the concepts that help you understand how Kubernetes works.
- Interacting with Kubernetes: Understanding how Kubernetes works is important, but equally important is understanding how to interact with Kubernetes. This course provides an overview of kubectl and ingress, two necessary components for interacting with Kubernetes.
- How to Prepare for the CKA Exam: The CKA and CKAD certifications are fast becoming the globally recognized IT certifications in the industry’s fastest growing technology—Kubernetes. This course will take you through a learning path of exam-focused preparation. It covers key resources and documents, the format of the exams, and how the exams are scored. The course also walks you through key command-line setups that can help both during the exams and throughout your wider Kubernetes journey.
Expand your skills with Kubernetes Academy today
We invite you to create your own profile on Kubernetes Academy to track your progress, save your favorite courses and lessons, earn achievements, partake in discussions, and more.
Don’t see the topic or course you’re looking for on Kubernetes Academy? Drop us a line in the comment section below to let us know. We’re always collecting requests for new topics as we continue to expand the Kubernetes Academy course catalog.
Enjoy the journey!