Looking for a more consistent, reliable and simple way to build and deploy cloud-native applications? Discover how VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid support for VMware Cloud on AWS helps you get up and running with Kubernetes quickly.
VMware Cloud on AWS provides an infrastructure platform for running our customers’ enterprise workloads of today and tomorrow. With VMware Cloud on AWS, customers can run, monitor and manage containers and virtual machines on the same platform using the same tools. This gives them flexibility and simplifies their infrastructure operations. They can rapidly migrate their applications to the cloud without downtime. And once in the cloud, they can start transforming these applications by leveraging modern frameworks such as Kubernetes.
Today, we are excited to announce that customers will be able to deploy, scale, and manage containerized applications on VMware Cloud on AWS with the support for Tanzu Kubernetes Grid. As organizations progress towards building and deploying cloud native applications, there needs to be a consistent and reliable technology that simplifies and removes a lot of the underlying guess work. In order to help customers in this regard, we are offering Tanzu Kubernetes Grid-VMware’s supported Kubernetes runtime, on VMware Cloud on AWS.
What is VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid support for VMware Cloud on AWS?
Tanzu Kubernetes Grid is an enterprise-ready Kubernetes runtime that packages open source technologies and automation tooling to help you get up and running quickly with a scalable, multi-cluster Kubernetes environment. Now with Tanzu Kubernetes Grid support, customers have a simplified path to running Kubernetes on VMware Cloud on AWS.
Tanzu Kubernetes Grid support for VMware Cloud on AWS enables you to deploy your SDDC in the cloud, with all the required components needed to architect and scale Kubernetes to fit your needs. VMware Cloud on AWS delivers a seamlessly integrated hybrid cloud solution that extends on-premises vSphere environments to a VMware SDDC running on Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), a bare-metal infrastructure that is fully integrated as part of AWS.
With Tanzu Kubernetes Grid deployed on VMware Cloud on AWS, you can take advantage of an elastically scalable infrastructure in the cloud for containerized workloads and quickly create and scale Kubernetes clusters as per your needs. This establishes a flexible and reliable foundation for application modernization.
- Simplified Installation: Tanzu Kubernetes Grid is engineered to include the tools and open source technologies needed to deploy and consistently operate a scalable Kubernetes environment wherever you need it to run – on vSphere-based environments, including VMware Cloud on AWS or in native public cloud environments or at the edge.
- Automated multi-cluster operations: With declarative, multi-cluster lifecycle management, streamlined upgrades and patching and API and CLI tools for automated operations, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid helps you more easily manage large-scale, multi-cluster Kubernetes deployments and automate manual tasks to reduce business risk and focus on more strategic work.
- Integrated platform services: Tanzu Kubernetes Grid streamlines the deployment of local and in-cluster services to simplify the configuration of container image registry policies, monitoring, logging, ingress, networking and storage, and ready your Kubernetes environment for production workloads.
- Open source alignment: Tanzu Kubernetes Grid helps you run your containerized applications on an upstream-aligned Kubernetes distribution and key open source technologies like Cluster API, Fluentbit, and Contour, so that you can enable portability and benefit from the support and innovation of the global Kubernetes community.
- Enterprise Grade Support: Customers deploying Tanzu Kubernetes Grid on VMware Cloud on AWS can benefit from 24×7 break-fix support for Kubernetes from VMware Tanzu Support (GSS).
Why Tanzu Kubernetes Grid on VMware Cloud on AWS?
- Speed: On-demand provisioning, scaling, patching and updating of Kubernetes clusters via simple CLI, eliminates complex deployment and management processes
- Portability: Tanzu Kubernetes Grid embraces Kubernetes as the modern application platform that allows a customer’s applications to be portable across any type of infrastructure, including multiple VMware Cloud on AWS deployments.
- Scalability: As a singular application begins to scale or the number of applications increase within Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, more worker nodes can be added when needed. When deployed on VMware Cloud on AWS, customers can take advantage of elastic infrastructure in the cloud to quickly create and scale Kubernetes clusters.
- Consistency and reliability: VMware Cloud on AWS provides a platform that is consistent with any vSphere-based cloud environment, enabling easy migration of existing applications without disruption. It also provides a pre-packaged SDDC environment that delivers the necessary compute, network, and storage infrastructure for VMware Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, allowing customers to transform targeted applications or application components of their choice.
- Automation: VMware automates and manages the underlying infrastructure lifecycle, allowing customers to focus on their applications.
So, what are you waiting for? Get started with these learning resources below:
- Want to learn about what else is happening in the VMware Cloud on AWS world – read this what’s new blog post
- Try Kubernetes with the VMware Hands-On-Lab with Cloud Native Applications
- Short on time but eager to learn about containers and Kubernetes? Learn from leading experts on KubeAcademy
- Follow us on Twitter @cloudnativeapps and @vmwarecloudaws and give us a shout with #VMwareTKGonVMC and #VMWonAWS