Albert Einstein said, “The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination.” Imagination coupled with empowerment have been the two drivers of success for the VMware IT team in 2018. Acknowledging our progress, Computerworld last year recognized this unique culture by ranking VMware as the third-best place to work in IT.
2018 was an unprecedented year for us, and I’m proud of what the VMware IT organization accomplished. In my conversations with customers around the world, it’s increasingly clear that IT transformation is now an urgent business imperative, with business goals fully dependent on IT Operations. In the midst of this unpredictable and rapidly changing technology landscape, the IT team must serve as trusted partners to the business and add value while providing insight and shaping strategy.
That’s what we strive to do at VMware. And we go beyond technology. Our IT leadership supports positive change throughout the business while continuing to evolve our organization as the central nervous system of the organization.
The first VMware Annual IT Report premiered last year. By sharing our story of transformation with industry business leaders and fellow IT organizations, we wanted to spark a discussion and learn from each other about what’s possible. Now, with the release of our second annual report – “Disrupting Our Own Shop—How VMware IT Creates Business Value,” we’re sharing our progress through the following lenses:
- Running a Tight Ship – How do we always ask the question, “Is there a better way?”
- Driving SaaS Transformation – Enabling VMware’s transition from a perpetual license software provider to a SaaS company requires changes in every part of our organization.
- Drinking Our Own Champagne – We use our own products and technology to solve our most critical problems – the same ones your IT organizations face every day.
- Safeguarding Our Vital Assets – A rapidly changing landscape across devices, infrastructure and the cloud creates new threats. We mitigate risks and defend against cyberattacks by continually upping our cyberhygiene game and improving resiliency, while also having required compliance at all levels.
- Optimizing the Colleague Experience –A delightful colleague experience sparks innovation by enabling inspiration to come alive. It also improves productivity, lowers costs and increases the level of satisfaction that employees have with their jobs, helping us to retain the best talent. We are always looking for ways to streamline, simplify and help people connect.
- Doing the Right Thing – With our EPIC2 values as our foundation, we harness the power of human difference and build a community that includes all forms of diversity. We also play a role in helping VMware to meet its commitment of a green future.
We are committed to creating the kind of environment where everyone’s voices are authentic and inspired, but most importantly, are heard. I am honored to be working for a company with a value system that supports inclusive communities, diverse backgrounds, ideas and orientations. I sincerely believe that there’s no better time to be in IT at VMware.
I welcome your feedback on our second annual report (reply here or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org). If you have enjoyed this report and would like to share it on Twitter, click here .
Read the full report