Saipriyadarshini Bandi is a Member of Technical Staff III, part of the Pricing Engine team, working as a Java developer. Based out of Hyderabad, India, Saipriyadarshini joined VMware in May 2022.
Square One as a Novice
I am a BTech graduate with a major in Information Technology. Being an audacious and astute learner, I’ve always wanted to explore new and interesting things rather than doing routine things daily. And so, being a developer and tech enthusiast allows me to work on creating something from scratch. I get to focus on using my problem-solving skills to find solutions to real-time tech challenges.
Women in Tech
There is always a need for women who code in the tech field, but likewise, there is always the stereotyped perception that “there are not enough women developers“.
If one looks closely at the statistics, half of women in tech drop out by mid-career, which shows that we should start encouraging an inclusive culture by providing the right measures and mentors for guidance.
Recently at VMware, I briefly mentored a female employee working in a support role when she was looking for guidance on how to make a career transition. She reached out to me, asking for advice on how to move into more technical roles. Gradually, she began to think, “I want to do that, and I’ll learn by doing, as it is never too late to start rather than waiting for the right time”. Even though we all lead busy lives, when you get the chance to make a difference, you should definitely do as much as you can.
Equality is leaving the door open for anyone who has the means to approach it; equity is ensuring there is a pathway to that door for those who need it. Equality is when everyone gets the same thing, and equity is when everyone gets the things they deserve.
Having worked in multiple organisations before joining VMware, I feel that there is something special about VMware. I have ample learning opportunities to work on projects completely from end to end, and every day I work with and talk to multiple people across various teams who have different flavours of the tech stack, which helps me to improve other skills apart from coding.
Create Your Own Sunshine
My advice to every budding young woman starting her career
- Always try to do what you want to do, rather than trying to impress others or copying what you think is right.
- Each one of us is unique. Your self-worth is determined by you. You don’t have to depend on someone telling you who you are.
- No career journey is straightforward, you should always grab learning opportunities
- Be the one who isn’t afraid to speak up.
- Remember – “you are the director of your life. Don’t play the scripts written by others” When it comes to luck, you make your own.
- Not every time one will see the best situation, but one should see the best in every situation.