The combination of VMware’s customer-proven virtualization, cloud infrastructure solutions, and world-class Global Support Services enables customers and partners to follow an evolutionary path to cloud computing. Customers can leverage VMware’s expertise and technology to move to a cloud-enabled organization at a pace that is right for them.
This week we’d like you to meet Kiran Kumar, a technical support manager for Global Support Services at VMware India. Learn about his career path and the type of talent he looks for when growing his team.
- Job title: Manager, Global Support Services
- Years at VMware: 1 Year 2 Months
- First job: In the gap between high school and college, I took up a non-paying job teaching typewriting to aspirants. This helped me develop my coaching and mentoring skills. My first non-paying job was to teach skills of lower typewriting at an institute to a bunch of aspirants.
- Fun fact: I am an avid traveller. My bucket-list item is to visit all states in India and I’m a foodie too. I have covered many states across North and South India and relished every famous dish across these states.
- Favorite social distancing activity: The pandemic has allowed us to spend quality time with our own family and be self-sufficient in all ways. Additionally, whilst sharing the household chores with my working wife in the kitchen, I turned a chef from a cook 😊
VMware Careers: Kiran, tell us about your career journey to date?
Kiran: I started my career as a Technical Support Engineer and have since evolved into my current management role. During the early days of my career, I was fortunate to work with some of the latest emerging products. I had a great experience working in labs, disassembling and rebuilding the products. Though it meant working late for months at length, it gave me one of the most significant learnings on teamwork, ownership, and accountability. In addition, I acquired knowledge and hands-on experience. It also gave me an excellent opportunity for mentorship and molded me for more incredible things in the corporate world. Eighteen years ago, joining a corporate company from a family business was one of my most challenging and best decisions. I’ve been through ups & downs, good times & challenges, and I am grateful to have been a part of this wonderful journey.
I started as an individual contributor working on Dell products and transitioned to a support role and eventually to a management role. The ‘Customer first’ mindset of delivering a remarkable customer experience and a ‘Quality first’ mindset is what I hold close to my heart. In my current role, I step into our customers’ shoes and ensure we provide world-class support to meet their needs. I joined the VMware GSS team approximately a year ago, and It has been an enriching experience to work with some of the greatest minds and contribute to VMware’s continued success.
VMware Careers: How is VMware different from any other technology company you have worked for in the past?
Kiran: VMware is one of the best places I have worked at so far. I was amazed by the adaptation of technology and innovative product offerings VMware has brought into the virtualization world. What I love the most here is our people & culture. Our leadership team truly values people and encourages employees to be innovative. We value diverse thoughts and promote an inclusive culture. I am enabled to bring my best to work every day.
VMware Careers: What has been the biggest lesson you have learned as you moved upwards in your career?
Kiran: Growing into each step in my career, required a diverse set of skills that I picked up along the way – here are some lessons I have learned along the way.
- Always strive to avoid stagnation
- Make connecting with others a priority
- Remember to look on the bright side
- Focus on developing and using your strengths
- Work until the work is done
- Trust in the power of failure
- Learn how to change the situation, not the person
Like one of the leaders said, “The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today” – Success is based on attitude, commitment & self-discipline. In leadership, the essential part is to know your team, trust them, and give them the freedom to be innovative and do their best in their unique way. Building trust in relationships goes a long way in a team’s success.
VMware Careers: Your team is hiring. Can you tell us more about your organization’s charter?
Kiran: Global Support is responsible for delivering an enriching customer experience. The role we are hiring for will play a key role in ensuring we provide timely support to customers basis the severity of the situation and leave no stone unturned in delighting every customer with world-class assistance over various mediums of support.
VMware Careers: If someone reading this was coming to interview with you tomorrow for a role on your team, what advice would you have for them?
Kiran: Be your original self during the interview. We are looking for individuals who Believe in themselves, are self-motivated
, and innovative, and have the passion & hunger to learn and contribute to the performance engineering domain/support domain.
Click here to browse open Global Support roles with VMware India!
Learn more about #VMwareLife by following our social channels below!