John Mark Troyer, VMware @jtroyer
Scott Lowe, VMware @scott_lowe
Jared Cook, VMware
Around the Community
Link to Audio Recording
Save 40% when you upgrade from VMware Horizon View Standard to Horizon Advanced or Horizon Enterprise Editions - Promotion Rules - Available 4/8/2014 through 12/15/2014 at 11:59PM PT (Pacific Time).
New capabilities in VMware Horizon 6 include:
- Published Applications and Virtual Desktops Delivered Through A Single Platform - VMware Horizon 6 offers streamlined management, end-user entitlement, and quick delivery of published Windows applications, RDS-based desktops and virtual desktops across devices and locations. The new capabilities are built on a single platform that is an extension of the market leading VDI solution, VMware Horizon View™.
- A Unified Workspace for Simplified Access - With VMware Horizon 6, end-users can access all applications and desktops from a single unified workspace. The unified workspace supports the delivery of virtualized applications hosted in the datacenter or local on the device, web and SaaS applications, RDS hosted applications, and published applications from third party platforms, such as Citrix XenApp, with a single sign-on experience.
- Storage Optimization with VMware Virtual SAN™ and Delivery from the Software-Defined Data Center - VMware Horizon 6 is optimized for the Software-Defined Data Center. The solution provides integrated management of VMware Virtual SAN that can significantly reduce the cost of storage for virtual desktops by using local storage. With this innovation, the capital cost of virtual desktops with Horizon 6 can be similar to physical desktops.
- Closed-Loop Management and Automation - VMware Horizon 6 offers new capabilities for end-to-end visibility and automation from datacenter-to-device. The new VMware vCenter™ Operations for View provides health and risk monitoring, proactive end-user experience monitoring and deep diagnostics from datacenter-to-device all within a single console. Horizon 6 also supports automation and self-service, allowing IT to provide line-of-business users with the ability to request desktops and applications by using built-in workflows and automated infrastructure provisioning. This closed-loop management and automation is integrated with the vCloud Automation Center™ management console, making it easier for customers with vCloud® Suite to get started with Horizon 6.
- Central Image Management of Virtual, Physical and Employee-Owned PCs - VMware offers centralized image management for virtual, physical and employee-owned PCs from a single, integrated solution. Using the updated VMware Mirage™, IT administrators can design a single desktop with the required operating system and applications, and deliver it to end-users in a department or entire organization based on end-user needs.
- Hybrid Cloud Delivery - VMware Horizon 6 introduces a new client that seamlessly connects to virtual desktops and applications running in an on-premise cloud, a service provider partner cloud, or through VMware vCloud Hybrid Service with the same, high performance end-user experience. This flexibility gives customers the ability to deploy Horizon 6 via the hybrid cloud – balancing between business-owned and public cloud-based infrastructure to best satisfy their needs.
New Editions to Support Modern Deployment Models
VMware customers can adopt published applications and virtual desktops based on their needs and environment. Three new editions of VMware Horizon will be available to customers, including:
Horizon View Standard Edition: Delivers simple, high-performance, VDI-based virtual desktops with a great user experience.
Horizon Advanced Edition: Offers the lowest cost solution for published and virtual applications and desktops using optimized storage from VMware Virtual SAN, central image management and a unified workspace for managing and delivering all applications and desktops.
Horizon Enterprise Edition: Delivers a cloud-ready solution for desktops and applications with advanced cloud-like automation and management capabilities for hybrid cloud flexibility.