Earlier this year we introduced vCloud Connector 1.0 – a free product that users could download directly from the VMware website. Among other things, vCloud Connector 1.0 allowed vSphere Administrators to use their familiar vSphere client as a singepane-of-glass view across hybrid clouds and copy virtual machines, vApps, or VM templates between vSphere and vCloud Director-based private and public clouds.
We recently ran a public beta of vCloud Connector 1.5, featuring enhancements that allow users to move their workloads more reliably than ever.
Here’s what’s new in vCloud Connector 1.5:
- More Reliable Transfer of Workloads: Transfer virtual machines and templates between clouds more reliably and efficiently with features like multi-part transfer, built-in compression and checkpoint restart.
- Single Pane of Glass, Now through Web UI: Continue to view VMs and templates across multiple clouds and perform basic operations such as power and console access within the vSphere client (also accessible through Web-based UI of vcloud.vmware.com).
- Support for latest version of vSphere (5.0) and vCloud Director (1.5)
- Internationalization ready: i18N Level 1: vCC can run on non-English OS and handle non-English text.
- Additional Enhancements: Search for VMs by name within a single cloud, management of server and node architecture, and Management of vCC Server and Node, including updates.
In a nutshell, VMware vCloud Connector 1.5 makes hybrid cloud management easy. Built upon VMware vSphere and vCloud APIs, vCloud Connector 1.5 allows customers to connect VMware vSphere or VMware vCloud Director-based private and public clouds and manage them under a single interface. Through vCloud Connector’s single pane of glass UI, you can view, copy and operate workloads, including VMs, vApps and templates, across internal datacenter and private or public clouds and save 4-6 hours when conducting an average transfer operation for your Web servers.
Furthermore, with vCloud Connecter 1.5, companies can have the freedom to move from one vCloud service provider to another, or from their private vCloud environments to public clouds and back.
Join the vCloud Connector 1.5 Public Beta Program (VMware login required) to test the latest software, with improvements around reliability of workload transfer and support for vcloud.vmware.com. While support for the public beta has officially ended, the beta bits and beta-vcloud.vmware.com will continue to be available until the general availability of the product.
We encourage those who have tried vCloud Connector 1.0 to test out the new features and enhancements available through the vCloud Connector 1.5 release. For questions, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to hear your feedback as well, so for any comments or questions, tweet at us via @vCloud.