VMware Fusion 2 Keyboard Mapping in the Wild: Visual Studio Shortcuts Edition

imageChris Chew is a .NET developer who recently switched to a MacBook Pro as his primary machine.  Of course, because Visual Studio, the integrated development environment for .NET development, only runs on Windows, Chris is running Windows on his Mac using VMware Fusion 2.

Chris has a great blog post up about how he’s using VMware Fusion 2’s keyboard mapping functionality to access the “generate” Resharper shortcut—which requires “Alt + Insert,” two keys which don’t exist on the Mac.  You can read more about it on the post.

And to learn more about VMware Fusion 2’s keyboard mapping feature, you can check out the video below.

And for people already using VMware Fusion’s keyboard mapping feature, how are you using it?  For which applications and which keystrokes?  Sound off in the comments!

Keyboard Mapping in VMware Fusion 2 from VMware Fusion on Vimeo.

20 thoughts on “VMware Fusion 2 Keyboard Mapping in the Wild: Visual Studio Shortcuts Edition

1. Erik

I remap the apple cmd key to the control key. That way I don’t get confused when switching back and forth between the Fusion VM and the host Mac system. Specifically, I was having problems with my use of firefox in the guest, since I use control-L and control-K all the time. Now it works great.

2. Kirby Turner

I use Ctrl+Right and Ctrl+Left when editing in Visual Studio and other text editors such as UltraEdit. But these keys also cause Spaces to move to the space on the right or space on the left. So I mapped Ctrl+Right to Ctrl+Right and Ctrl+Left to Ctrl+Left. Now I can use these keys within the GuestOS to edit text files without OS X moving to a different space.

3. Kirby Turner

Guess I was wrong in my previous comment. Mapping Ctrl+Right and Ctrl+Left works until I move out of the guest os. When I return to the guest os Ctrl+Right and Ctrl+Left are taken over by Spaces again. Oh well.

4. Pete Kazanjy

@Kirby What you need to do is disable the binding between the Ctrl-arrow keys and the “Move spaces” command.
    This is done via the Mac’s systems settings. Click on the system setting icon in your dock, and then click on the “Expose and Spaces” item.
    Click on the “Spaces” tab, and then change the drop-down menu next to “To switch between spaces” to the [ - ] setting.
    Now, ctrl-arrows will no longer be parsed by Mac OS X to mean “switch spaces.”

5. Kirby Turner

@Peter Thanks for the tip. I gave it a try but I still like using ctrl+arrows to move between spaces. So I opted for yet another approach.
    I left the “switch between spaces” setting to ctrl+arrows and I mapped option+arrows in Fusion to ctrl+arrows. So far this is working well for me. And as an added benefit now I can use the same key combination (option+arrows) to move between words in the different text editors I use in the Mac and Windows worlds (i.e., Visual Studio, UltraEdit, Xcode, and TextMate).
    The blog posting on using keyboard mapping got me to explore this feature of Fusion more. I really like the level of control provided by Fusion. I’m sure I will be fine tuning my mappings more over time.

6. Boris Dušek

I used the feature recently with Visual Studio too – the “Build -> Cancel” command has Ctrl+Break shortcut by default and Mac had no Break key – so I added a mapping of Ctrl+Alt+Delete to Ctrl+Break and now I can cancel my builds early if I see some small and stupid error (which is great since the builds take a while to finish, and I prefer keyboard shortcuts to mouse). Also the Delete has a sense of “stop, restart”, so it fits mentally well :-)
    @Kirby: I use the “Ctrl+Alt+arrows” option in the Spaces settings to switch between spaces and am running Visual Studio fullscreen in Space 2, and can Ctrl+Left,Right to go a word left,right inside the VM without any problems.

7. Boris Dušek

@Jan: on MBP, you hit F6 to activate Numpad, then hit the “?” key, which in Numlock mode means “+” (and “:” for “-”). Not sure if it’s like this on MB as well.

8. Pete

I remapped a whole lot of keyboard shortcuts for CorelDRAW (the whole reason I’m running Fusion). Turns out it was a big waste of time. If I even so much as enable keyboard mapping, I lose the ability to expand selections by pressing and holding shift (in [u]all[/u] applications. I hope I can find a fix for this, I really need my shortcuts!

9. Jeremy

Useful discussion. Does any have tips for getting Windows “home”, “end”, “page up” and “page down”? The VMware Fusion help is useful for many keyboard mappings, but these keys are not covered.
    TIA!

10. best seo

Hello! I’ve been reading your weblog for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the great work!

11. net jobs

Hi my family member! I wish to say that this article is awesome, great written and come with approximately all significant infos. I would like to look more posts like this .