VMworld 2013 – the 10th annual – kicked off on Monday with the General Session and some epic announcements. But before we go deep and dive into the details…
2nd Annual TAM Customer Central
The first day of the second annual TAM Customer Central was a resounding success. This exclusive TAM Customer-Only room was designed to ensure that TAM Customers have the best possible experience during the conference. On Monday customers had exclusive access to VMware product managers and experts for in-depth technical deep dives and discussions, product road maps, technical previews, demos and more.
Some of the topics that were covered included:
- Managing the Lifecycle of the vCloud Suite – Roadmap and Futures
- vMotion Futures and Multi-vCenter Management at Scale
- VMware vCenter Log Insight Technical Deep Dive
- Virtualizing Big Data to Make Your Elephant Dance
- VMware Storage Vision and Strategy
- VMware’s Oracle Support
Today we continue with an array of deep dives that you will not want to miss!
Check out the FULL SCHEDULE and join us for this exclusive opportunity at TAM Customer Central.
Now, on to the announcements...
For the reader that prefer awesome video recaps, check out the VMworldTV Day One Recap with Eric Sloof. Always terrific and fun!
A year after introducing the software-defined data center architecture, our pioneering IT framework has gained wide acceptance across global business giants and start-ups alike. And during the Day One General Session we unveiled the next-generation solutions to further enable SDDC. These four products that enable customers to virtualize infrastructure and deliver IT-as-a-Service; providing efficiency, agility and control for building and operating private, hybrid and public clouds include:
- VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ to seamlessly extend your existing data center to the cloud while leveraging the same tools and processes you use today.
- VMware NSX™ Network Virtualization Platform to Deliver New Network Operational Model that Improves Agility and Advances Data Center Economics
- VMware Virtual SAN™ Introduces New Approach to Storage, Delivering Simple, Self-Tuning Storage for Virtual Machines
- New Versions of VMware vCloud® Suite and VMware vSphere® with Operations Management™ Increase Management and Automation Capabilities to Strengthen Foundation of a Software-Defined Data Center Architecture
- VMware vSphere® 5.5 Extends Support for Business-Critical Applications and New Workloads
VMware vCloud Hybrid Service – vCloud Hybrid Service is now generally available in the US (available globally in 2014) and allows you to seamlessly extend your existing data center to the cloud while leveraging the same tools and processes you use today.
VMware NSX – Like server virtualization, VMware’s approach to network virtualization enables you to treat your physical network as a pool of transport capacity that can be consumed and repurposed on-demand. Virtual networks are programmatically created, provisioned and managed, utilizing the underlying physical network for simple IP connectivity. VMware NSX brings together the best of Nicira NVP™ and VMware vCloud Network and Security™ into one unified platform, delivering the entire networking and security model (Layer 2 – Layer 7) in software. In addition, the VMware NSX virtual networks support existing applications, unchanged, on any physical network infrastructure.
Similar to other distributed VMware vSphere services, VMware NSX is built upon a groundbreaking distributed architecture where the network services are integrated with the hypervisor kernel. This enables network services to scale out in concert with the hypervisor to meet the application’s needs. Since VMware NSX delivers Layer 2 - Layer 7 services entirely via software, all that you need to do to grow your infrastructure is add more server nodes. This architecture enables VMware NSX to handle as much as 1 TB per second of network traffic per cluster of 32 hosts.
VMware NSX is an extensible platform that leverages a distributed service framework for easy insertion of partner services. VMware NSX technology partners are organized into service categories that follow the network virtualization lifecycle and include network service gateways to bridge physical and virtual environments; network security platforms that provide multi-service network security including firewall and threat prevention; application delivery services including load balancing, application delivery and WAN optimization controllers; and security services including anti-virus, IDS/IPS and vulnerability management. Today, more than 20 partners announced support or showed demonstrations of VMware NSX at VMworld.
- VMware NSX will be available in Q4 2013.
- Learn more about the VMware NSX network virtualization platform.
VMware Virtual SAN – Similar to VMware NSX, VMware Virtual SAN is built on a unique distributed architecture that will enable storage services to scale out linearly with the needs of the application. Through the seamless integration of VMware Virtual SAN with VMware vSphere, we have redefined the role of the hypervisor to deliver virtualized compute and storage services in an elastic, flexible fashion. The distributed architecture enables VMware Virtual SAN to deliver I/O performance comparable to mid-range storage arrays while leveraging the economics of direct-attached storage.
VMware Virtual SAN offers a policy-driven control plane that automates storage consumption and management via virtual machine-centric policies. Relying on server-side solid state disks (SSDs) and hard disk drives (HDDs), VMware Virtual SAN delivers significantly lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) and test/development environments, among other use cases. You can start small and grow storage performance and capacity by adding servers as needed.
- VMware Virtual SAN will be available via a free public beta program in Q3 2013.
- Learn more about VMware Virtual SAN.
VMware vCloud Suite 5.5 – We introduced VMware vCloud Suite 5.5, which features new and enhanced product functionality as well as broad product integrations. The VMware vCloud Suite will enable customers to build and operate a vSphere-based private cloud using the software-defined data center architecture, providing virtualized infrastructure services with built-in intelligence to automate on-demand provisioning, placement, configuration and control of applications based on policies. The comprehensive, integrated private cloud infrastructure solution simplifies your IT operations while also delivering the best SLAs for all applications.
The VMware vCloud Suite is built on the foundation of VMware vSphere, the world’s leading virtualization platform. With VMware vSphere 5.5, we continue to evolve vSphere to provide you with the best platform for all of your applications including new workloads through new and enhanced compute, availability, storage and backup capabilities. To improve the availability of business-critical applications, VMware vSphere 5.5 introduces vSphere App HA to detect and recover from application or operating system failure. New VMware vSphere Flash Read Cache™ virtualizes server-side flash to lower application latency dramatically. To further improve the response time of latency-sensitive applications, VMware vSphere 5.5 introduces a low-latency sensitivity feature. VMware vSphere 5.5 enables configurations two times the previous physical CPU, memory and NUMA node limits.
With VMware vSphere Big Data Extensions, you can now run Apache Hadoop and Big Data workloads on VMware vSphere 5.5, alongside other applications, to achieve greater resource utilization, reliability and agility. In addition, VMware vSphere 5.5 now supports next-generation Intel® Xeon® processor E5 v2 and Intel® Atom™ Processor C2000.
VMware vCloud Automation Center™ and VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite™ capabilities have been added to all VMware vCloud Suite 5.5 editions. VMware vCloud Automation Center provides the agility you need with the control you require through a flexible solution for automating the delivery of IT applications and services. VMware vCenter Operations Management Suite has integrated, proactive performance, capacity and configuration management capabilities for dynamic cloud environments. VMware vCloud Suite 5.5 also features new releases of VMware vCloud Connector, VMware vCloud Director®, VMware vCloud Networking and Security, and VMware vCenter™ Site Recovery Manager™.
- VMware vCloud Suite 5.5 and VMware vSphere with Operations Management are expected to be available in Q3 2013.
- VMware vSphere 5.5 - What's New's New in the Platform
- VMware vSphere 5.5 - Data Protection Introduction
- VMware vSphere 5.5 - Replication Overview
- Check out the VMware vSphere Blog for all the latest details on VMware vSphere 5.5
VMware vSphere with Operations Management 5.5 – Originally introduced in February 2013, VMware vSphere with Operations Management combines the industry-leading vSphere virtualization platform with insight to workload capacity and health. VMware vSphere with Operations Management will enable customers to optimize their environment through integrated capacity planning while proactively monitoring and maintaining overall performance of their environment. VMware vSphere with Operations Management 5.5 will take advantage of VMware vSphere 5.5 to provide customers with the best platform for all their applications and workloads.
- Learn more about VMware vSphere with Operations Management 5.5.
New Services and Certifications – We also announced a host of new certifications and professional services to help you outline the strategy and technology roadmap to define and implement a software-defined data center architecture:
- VMware Certified Associate (VCA) available for cloud (VCA-Cloud), data center virtualization (VCA-DCV), and network virtualization (VCA-NV), these certifications offer a new credential to validate entry-level skills before progressing on to the VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certifications.
- New Technology Consulting Services focus on building an extensible platform for a software-defined data center architecture. These services address the key design and deployment elements that deliver the efficiency, agility, control and choice enabled by VMware products and technologies.
- Strategic Consulting Services, through VMware Accelerate Advisory Services, that help organizations quantify the value of a software-defined data center model within their IT environments, mapping out an actionable strategy to deliver tangible business value. Learn more about VMware professional services and certifications.
More announcements are sure to come during VMworld 2013 – follow us @VMwareTAM Twitter, like us on Facebook or follow us on Google+ for to-the-minute updates!