Last week was a whirlwind of activity for VMware and that’s especially true for those of us in the world of SMB. We’ve pulled together this post as a recap of the SMB related sessions, announcements, activities you might be interested in. What is your list of highlights from VMworld last week? Let us know what you heard, saw and learned in the comments section below.
SMB Spotlight – Solutions for Automating IT in the Small-to-Midsize Business
Russ Stockdale, Vice President and General Manager of VMware SMB Solutions, presented current and future solutions for helping manage and automate IT functions, setting up disaster recovery solutions, and ensuring business continuity.
“Virtualization is now mainstream amongst SMBs, with companies increasingly focused on finding the best ways to extend the benefits of virtualization to improve IT availability and protect their businesses with enhanced backup / recovery solutions. It is great to see so many SMB IT pros here at VMworld talking about how they are gaining a competitive advantage with their virtualization deployments.” Russ Stockdale
Read more of Russ Stockdale’s take on Extending the Benefits of Virtualization for SMBs
Russ also spoke with a few SMB’s innovators focused on finding the best ways to extend the benefits of virtualization to improve IT availability and protect their businesses with enhanced backup / recovery solutions.
Learn more about customers featured in the Spotlight and the obstacles they have overcome in their virtualization journeys.
- Seven Corners - Took 144 servers virtual and recently deployed their own virtual private cloud in 90 days. Watch the video.
- Myron Steves Case – Consolidated 72 servers down to eight within 90 days, cutting disaster recovery times and costs. Read the success story.
- MLB Network – Built out a highly reliable, agile and resilient IT environment in just a few weeks. MLB Network launched on January 1, 2009 in approximately 50 million homes as the largest network debut in cable history. And while MLB Network may be a global brand, it is also a classic midsize business with 450 fulltime employees, 14 IT staff and just two VMware specialists. Leveraging VMware vSphere, the MLB Network team built out a highly reliable, agile and resilient IT environment in just a matter of weeks. They started by virtualizing their business critical applications, allowing them to manage a single environment. From there the MLB Network IT team, began creating and virtualizing additional custom applications, creating a more dynamic on air-experience for viewers.
New solutions for SMB IT Pros were announced. Learn more about these solutions:
- Introducing the New VMware Go Pro for SMBs
- Introducing the New VMware vSphere Storage Appliance 5.1 for SMBs
- VMware vSphere 5.1 Delivers New Features for SMBs
Journey to Your Cloud Makeover Contest
At VMworld, many SMBs submitted videos to win a $100,000 IT makeover for their company. You can submit your own entry anytime, anywhere at www.VMwareCloudContest.com.
If you missed VMworld or would like to reminise you can view announcements and keynotes online at www.VMwareNOW.com.
Stay in touch with VMware SMB online
Follow VMware SMB through our social channels and share on your own channels: