I'm George Gerchow, Director of VMware's Center for Policy & Compliance. I'll be here all week to talk about Compliance in the Cloud and answer your questions.
Today we are going to give you access to a FREE downloadable tool that helps you get started on the “Trusted Cloud” ride.
It is the vSphere 4.1 Compliance Checker fresh off the virtual assembly line and compiled by the good folks at CP&C!
Here is how it works:
- The Compliance Checker runs an assessment on ESX/ESXi hosts managed by vCenter
- The assessment is based on a predefined subset of 29 of the vSphere 4.1 Security Hardening Guide rules and is run against the first 5 ESX/ESXi hosts found on the target vCenter
- The results for each host include the rules, the rule descriptions, and the success or failure of each rule
At VMware, we like to call the Compliance Checkers “Crack” for IT as it get’s ya hooked and you will come back for more!
Here is the link so you can get started hardening your vSphere Environment today:
Now this poses a few questions and we would love to get your feedback:
- Are free tools like this helpful?
- How do you currently lock down your vSphere environment?
- Would remediation of the non-compliance results be a good next step?
- Do you care about regulatory compliance & vendor best practices? If so, which ones? (PCI, HIPAA, DISA, CIS…)
I will be rollin’ into Denver today like Tom Brady rolled over the Miami Secondary last night but will be online waiting to hear from you. (FYI, IN Denver, I am giving a Keynote at a Healthcare seminar on Trusted Cloud)
Jump in the discussion on any of our social media channels - blogs, Twitter, Facebook, or community forum:
- on the Security & Compliance Blog or the Virtualization Management Blog
- on Twitter: @georgegerchow and @vmwaremgmt
- on Facebook: IT Management
- at the Management Mastery site
- and at the Management Mastery Forum
Here is a sneek peek of what the Checker looks like:
Thanks and have a great day from all of us at CP&C and VMware!