Was VMworld San Francisco already a week ago? Like after any great party, many of us are still feeling the hang-over… from consuming so much information over such a short time period!
But as we start to digest that information, there are a few things that already stand-out:
1. Automation is key. No matter the product or technology topic (software defined data-center, self-service, cloud, virtual infrastructure, etc.), one could be sure automation was a key discussion point.
2. Orchestration is (almost) mainstream. Although orchestration is only a subset of the broader automation story, the ability to model IT processes that span across multi-vendor systems is no longer a luxury. It’s a necessity for any organization trying to streamline their provisioning or remediation routines to seconds or minutes rather than days or weeks (and as we heard in some cases, even months…).
3. Customers are very excited about vCenter Orchestrator 5.1. We knew that interest had been growing steadily over the last few years but our team did not anticipate so much traffic at the demo booth. It was non-stop during the entire conference! We are extremely grateful to all of the customers and partners who took the time to share their success (and outstanding needs) around vCO. All of your feedback is extremely important and, as you’ve seen in this new 5.1 version, is very likely to make its way into a release.
4. Customers are anxious to get their hands dirty. Please be patient for just a little longer. We promise GA is right around the corner In the meantime, we recommend that you read the vCO Team’s very comprehensive account of new vCO 5.1 capabilities.
5. There is still a big thirst for vCO-related information and one request we heard several times was to get a list of reference information. We’ve included such a list at the end of this post.
In the meantime, and as typical relapsing infoholics, we’ll be glad to meet with as many of you as possible in Barcelona as soon as we recover from San Francisco
The vCO Team
Official VMware Resources:
- Main product page: www.vmware.com/products/vcenter-orchestrator/
- Plug-ins on VMware Solutions Exchange: solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/categories/vmware-vcenter-orchestrator
- Orchestrator user community: communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/mgmt/orchestrator
- Orchestrator Plug-in-SDK: communities.vmware.com/community/developer/forums/orchestrator
- vCenter Orchestrator platform documentation: www.vmware.com/support/pubs/orchestrator_pubs.html
- vCenter Orchestrator Plug-Ins documentation: pubs.vmware.com/orchestrator-plugins/index.jsp
- Training: mylearn1.vmware.com/mgrreg/courses.cfm?ui=www_edu&a=one&id_subject=24347
- Blog: blogs.vmware.com/orchestrator/
Unofficial (but not less useful) Resources:
- vCOTeam: www.vcoteam.info
- Mighty Virtualization: mighty-virtualization.blogspot.com
- vCO Portal: www.vcoportal.de
- ProfessionalVMware: professionalvmware.com/vcenter-orchestrator/
- vSential: www.vsential.com
- virtuallyGhetto: www.virtuallyghetto.com
- Automating vSphere with VMware Orchestrator: www.amazon.com/Automating-vSphere-Orchestrator-Technology-ebook/dp/B007EAWUCU/ref=tmm_kin_title_0
- Typing “vCenter Orchestrator” in YouTube…
Flings (not for production):
- VIX Plug-in: labs.vmware.com/flings/vix-vco
- Perspectives simple web UI: labs.vmware.com/flings/perspectives-plug-in-for-vcenter-orchestrator
- CIM plug-in: labs.vmware.com/flings/cim-plugin