by Heman Smith
Infographics are great for providing clarity. As the one below illustrates, the role of IT workers is rapidly transforming — and IT executives are keen on building the optimum IT organizational structure for the software-defined data center (SDDC).
If you want an agile, business-responsive, service-driven IT organization, the role of IT must change from a reactive, rigid structure to one that is proactive, innovative and dynamic. The key to the success of this transformation to a SDDC is a symbiotic partnership between IT and the business, driven by executive leadership.
Accelerate Advisory Services consultants work collaboratively with customer stakeholders to assess their organization’s operational readiness against a cloud operational capability scale, which VMware has developed from years of experience with the technologies and processes of successful cloud computing. Looking at the organization’s IT operations from this cloud capabilities framework perspective, we gather information and data to provide our customers with actionable recommendations and financial guidance on their transformation to a SDDC.
When I work with customers, I review the core assumptions for successful IT operations in a cloud-driven world:
• IT needs to change in significant ways to achieve the capabilities needed for effective cloud operations.
• People and organization both need to adjust to reflect the faster pace, the new technologies and critical changes in processes.
• When IT becomes a service broker, its financial model fundamentally changes, and measurements are essential for success.
• Intentional, ITIL-type processes and control are no longer optional, but essential.
• The new, cloud-centric technology architecture delivers tremendous capability and requires more responsibility.
Accelerate consultants can help you undertake your transformation to the software-defined data center. Visit our Web site to learn more about our offerings, or reach out to us today at email@example.com for more information.
Would you like to continue this conversation with your C-level executive peers? Join our exclusive CxO Corner Facebook page for access to hundreds of verified CxOs sharing ideas around IT Transformation right now by going to CxO Corner and clicking “ask to join group.”
Heman Smith is an operational capability consultant for VMware Accelerate Advisory Services. Follow him on Twitter @hemansmith